Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #91  
Old 10-24-2014, 09:41 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,681
Max payload on our late model 2500HD/2WD/Reg cab/6.0 litre/Long box GMC & Chevy (T3000) trucks = 3760 (includes full fuel tank).

300 gallon Tuflex fiberglass tank = 100 lbs.

D30 Hypro pump w/Honda engine = 50 lbs (no hose reel needed).

Dual receiver carrier rack = 60 lbs.

T3000 = 500 lbs.

REMOVE spare tire = -70 lbs.

GVWR = 9300 lbs. Curb weight = 5700 lbs. So the payload rating adds up (about 3800 lbs).

Early spring > we might apply 4 lbs/K. Rest of the time = 3 lbs/K. Round one & Round 5 = we remove spray tanks/pumps/etc. (just carry some 2 1/2 galon jugs)

Nuther advantage we have = we send several trucks to each zip code, so "non-T3000 trucks" can share product with "T-3000 trucks. We also use routing software so we know where each truck is located (which is usually only a few blocks away)

__________________
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 10-25-2014, 05:05 PM
klsgc klsgc is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Max payload on our late model 2500HD/2WD/Reg cab/6.0 litre/Long box GMC & Chevy (T3000) trucks = 3760 (includes full fuel tank).

300 gallon Tuflex fiberglass tank = 100 lbs.

D30 Hypro pump w/Honda engine = 50 lbs (no hose reel needed).

Dual receiver carrier rack = 60 lbs.

T3000 = 500 lbs.

REMOVE spare tire = -70 lbs.

GVWR = 9300 lbs. Curb weight = 5700 lbs. So the payload rating adds up (about 3800 lbs).

Early spring > we might apply 4 lbs/K. Rest of the time = 3 lbs/K. Round one & Round 5 = we remove spray tanks/pumps/etc. (just carry some 2 1/2 galon jugs)

Nuther advantage we have = we send several trucks to each zip code, so "non-T3000 trucks" can share product with "T-3000 trucks. We also use routing software so we know where each truck is located (which is usually only a few blocks away)

Having to go find product from another truck mid day seems like a disadvantage to me, not an advantage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 10-25-2014, 07:19 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,681
I can understand it could be difficult for some LCO's, cuz each market & operation is different.

Half our trucks treat small lawns (usually under 6000 s/f). The other 3 trucks are "ride-on trucks". At least 4 trucks work in the same neighborhood each day. I always make sure each truck carries enough product to be able to help others if need be, so we never run short of product. Every tech also carries a 2-way radio.

I think it all depends on route density & route planning. Sometimes it's 8 lawns on the same street in just a 2 block stretch. Otherwise, it's at least one lawn on every street.

I use routing software to:
a) minimize drive time
b) allow trucks to arrive on the correct side of the street
c) plan "open areas" in the morning before afternoon wind speed increases
d) avoid lawns with slopes until the dew has a chance to evaporate

A few other things too like:

avoiding neighborhoods on "garbage day"
knowing projected wind speeds >> where & when
knowing projected precipitation >> where & when

I spend over an hour each night planning routes (sometimes over 100 stops per day). So this time is crucial for me because we are in a very competitive market.

One "T-Man" treated 28 lawns yesterday. Started at 8:00 a.m./finished at 4:30 p.m. He ran a z-spray last year before he quit & joined us, but he's now very comfortable with our ride-on's. No more trailer pullin' either.
__________________
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 10-26-2014, 12:48 AM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,043
Agree with avoiding routes on garbage pickup day. What a pain to have to set cans out of the way at every stop.....
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
2013 Gravely Pro Turn 260 with Kohler 26.5 EFI
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 10-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Service 1st Lawn Care Service 1st Lawn Care is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I can understand it could be difficult for some LCO's, cuz each market & operation is different.

Half our trucks treat small lawns (usually under 6000 s/f). The other 3 trucks are "ride-on trucks". At least 4 trucks work in the same neighborhood each day. I always make sure each truck carries enough product to be able to help others if need be, so we never run short of product. Every tech also carries a 2-way radio.

I think it all depends on route density & route planning. Sometimes it's 8 lawns on the same street in just a 2 block stretch. Otherwise, it's at least one lawn on every street.

I use routing software to:
a) minimize drive time
b) allow trucks to arrive on the correct side of the street
c) plan "open areas" in the morning before afternoon wind speed increases
d) avoid lawns with slopes until the dew has a chance to evaporate

A few other things too like:

avoiding neighborhoods on "garbage day"
knowing projected wind speeds >> where & when
knowing projected precipitation >> where & when

I spend over an hour each night planning routes (sometimes over 100 stops per day). So this time is crucial for me because we are in a very competitive market.

One "T-Man" treated 28 lawns yesterday. Started at 8:00 a.m./finished at 4:30 p.m. He ran a z-spray last year before he quit & joined us, but he's now very comfortable with our ride-on's. No more trailer pullin' either.
28 lawns is a VERY AVERAGE day nothing special there, I see you say you REMOVE the spare tire. So if you would ever have a flat I guess you would lose some time with down time waiting for you to come to the rescue with the spare.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 10-26-2014, 05:37 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,681
garbage cans, wind speed, slopes, wet grass, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Agree with avoiding routes on garbage pickup day. What a pain to have to set cans out of the way at every stop.....
Here's one route for tomorrow (27 stops within 20 blocks). 4 other trucks will be in the exact same same neighborhood. Route density ROCKS! 5 of our trucks will be in the same zip code >> aeration crews will be in a neighboring zip code (50322).

Wind speed tomorrow will only be 5 - 10 mph, but a few lawns have signifacant slopes, so they are routed in for afternoon to make sure the grass is dry.

Routing aerations?? We currently have plenty of soil moisture, so we are concentrating on heavy clay soil lawns that can dry up fast. Then we will move to the loam soil lawns & shady lawns hoping those "tender lawns" dry out a bit. Aeration crews will also carry ZTR mowers - in case leaves are a problem.

Work hard, but work smart. Mimize mistakes & do quality work. If folks do this, "advertising" is not needed. my 2 cents
Attached Images
 
__________________
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 10-26-2014, 09:46 PM
terrabites terrabites is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Braselton, GA
Posts: 33
What routing software are you using?
__________________
www.terrabiteslawnservice.com

2001 F-150 Supercrew 4x4
2003 F-150 Supercrew 4x4
1998 18 ft Equipment Trailer
2012 Exmark Turf Tracer 36" Walk Behind w/Velkie
2011 Toro Z-Master G3 48"
Stihl String Trimmer and Stick Edger
Sthil BR600 Backpack Blower
Lesco 80lb Spreader
Lesco 4 Gal Backpack Sprayer
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 PM
americanlawn's Avatar
americanlawn americanlawn is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,681
routexl.com It limits you to 20 stops, so I have to "south chicago it' if we're running more than 20 stops. It's free, and you can determine your start & finish points.
__________________
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Page generated in 0.07636 seconds with 10 queries