Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Advice on going liquid again

Well last year was less than stellar profit wise, not bad but not great either. Here in NY we pay a premium(and we can get it to) for fert. My cost for granular was 2.80/K last year on average including tax. I am thinking going back to liquid(because it's cheaper) but the problem comes down to the larger properties i do that are over 30K. Using the PG is way faster but then there is blowing and cleanup. Liquid is cleaner but slower to apply and my tank is only 500gal and that wont get me far as i like to use 4+gpm. I would give up all these large properties in a heartbeat and trade them in for smaller ones. In the case of large properties bigger isn't always better for your profits. Does anybody have a cost effective solution and deliver quality results? I used a mix of Umaxx last time and though it works i have yet to use a fert.(granular or liquid) that gets me a full 8 weeks even at the full rate and slow release 30% percent or higher, so duration is also of concern. Agrium's Duration is the exception even though i don't believe it can go the full 6 month's(used it personally at the full rate, two passes at 19 with Lesco spreader) Anyway trying to come up with a new gameplan this season that can make more money with rising costs, thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkeep View Post
Well last year was less than stellar profit wise, not bad but not great either. Here in NY we pay a premium(and we can get it to) for fert. My cost for granular was 2.80/K last year on average including tax. I am thinking going back to liquid(because it's cheaper) but the problem comes down to the larger properties i do that are over 30K. Using the PG is way faster but then there is blowing and cleanup. Liquid is cleaner but slower to apply and my tank is only 500gal and that wont get me far as i like to use 4+gpm. I would give up all these large properties in a heartbeat and trade them in for smaller ones. In the case of large properties bigger isn't always better for your profits. Does anybody have a cost effective solution and deliver quality results? I used a mix of Umaxx last time and though it works i have yet to use a fert.(granular or liquid) that gets me a full 8 weeks even at the full rate and slow release 30% percent or higher, so duration is also of concern. Agrium's Duration is the exception even though i don't believe it can go the full 6 month's(used it personally at the full rate, two passes at 19 with Lesco spreader) Anyway trying to come up with a new gameplan this season that can make more money with rising costs, thanks
Lesco's "Low Dr" works very well and is MUCH cheaper than Duration. With regards to liquid, Urea Triazone products (Green Flo) and Coron can last 8 weeks. However, I would only use those in smaller amounts because the cost can add up quick. You can get up to 6 weeks out of iron citrate (4-4-5 liquid).
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, i will look into those products. I did not know Lesco had a competing product similar to Agrium's Duration. I would be surprised if it was less expensive than Agrium. Agrium Advanced Technologies prices blow away Lesco's pricing where i live on just about everything.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a reason that you can't spray at 2 gpm? We've never had a product flow issue at 2, even in southwestern heat and always considered 4 gpm to be for inexperienced applicators who were having a tough time laying a pattern. That would effectively double your tanks sq ft capacity, allowing you to do 250k on a fill, about right for a single applicator walking out a day of spraying.

If you're stuck at that rate, you could always drag out a nurse tank on a trailer and load as much as you like. Put it on quickconnects and draw from the secondary tank once the first was spent.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I have done that in the past using the yellow 2gpm nozzel. It does give you the benefit of getting more mileage out of a load. The thing is i have always felt the higher volumes deliver a little better result in the case of preemergents and fungicides(especially targeting soil born diseases). It will get your material down to the soil more efficiently when there is no rain or irrigation immediately after applying. Yes you can run a "hotter" load but there are some disadvantages if you are tank mixing different products. Also hot weather can be of concern as well with lower volume. Higher volume i feel is safer and has a good drench capability where lower volumes can leave product sitting on grass blades with the potential of getting disturbed by mowing before irrigation.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think irrigation is your keyword here. Here in the West, there are no lawns without irrigation beyond the Pacific Northwest (and even many of them have systems). So we feel comfortable at the lower rate with specific watering instructions and a no mow/no entry statement.

If you're the one doing the "watering" of your lawns, then yes, you're probably stuck with high rates of water with application. In that case, the cheapest solution is a trailer/nurse tank. We've done that plenty of times on commercial props with two reels spraying off the primary truck. Park another 500 gallons on the property while and then tap/transfer once the primary is empty. A single axle (7000 lb) trailer with a proper frame should have no problem carrying out another 325-500 gallons and keep you in the area for far longer without a larger truck or primary tank.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your cost per k was $2.80 last year. Do you mean per application or for the season? How many applications?
Your fert should cost around $20 per bag.