Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversatisfiedj View Post
Quit crying. Look at what they pay for fuel in Canada.
Canada, is nothing. Look at Europe.

But in Canada, they are acclimated to the costs.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Canada, is nothing. Look at Europe.

But in Canada, they are acclimated to the costs.
Not to this extent we aren't, fuel has shot up especially the price of diesel by about 100% over the last five years. Just last week it went up approximately $.75 a gallon
Posted via Mobile Device
But I do agree with the prices in Europe, I was there in 2004 and I remember the price of gasoline in Northern Ireland was approximately nine dollars a gallon
Old 02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Do you offer financing? Gas prices really killing me
Yes I do offer financing on jobs under $10,000 on larger jobs I recommend them to my bank for a home improvement loan.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC LANDSCAPING View Post
Yes I do offer financing on jobs under $10,000 on larger jobs I recommend them to my bank for a home improvement loan.
Ouch. I would never, ever finance a project. never. This is a luxury service. Just like ours dads told us when we were kids - if you don't have the money then do not buy it. Same with a patio or walk. No money, then it's foolish to buy it. And if they don't have the money, then it's foolish for a small contractor to finance it, as there is no recourse. A lien issued by a judge still won't do anything for you.

No one NEEDS a hardscape.

Now, a kid needing a wheel chair or some machine to monitor their heart - yeah, that's a legit need, I would help with the finances. But a patio - no way, no how.

You get the money and call when you're 100% ready. In the meantime I'll be servicing those that are 100% ready.

You just said you have a low inventory of jobs sold for 2014. How would letting a customer pay later benefit you? Especially when most contractors are lucky to walk away from a job with a net of 18%. Most are lower than that. And most have no idea what their net profit is for each individual job. Where would a contractor coming out of winter have the funds to subsidize 72% of a stranger's patio??

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 02-26-2014, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I work with a few investors who in most cases pay me when the house is sold ( in some cases 60 to 90 days). I dont mind becouse they always pay and never question a bill. Generally for them its a new lawn, walk way and a few shrubs. As for the general public I agree that its not smart for them to spend money they dont have but its a great opportunity to make extra money.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC LANDSCAPING View Post
I work with a few investors who in most cases pay me when the house is sold ( in some cases 60 to 90 days). I dont mind becouse they always pay and never question a bill. Generally for them its a new lawn, walk way and a few shrubs. As for the general public I agree that its not smart for them to spend money they dont have but its a great opportunity to make extra money.
I have some investors call me for prices. They always want the rock bottom price, worst than builders. A few weeks ago a very nice lady called me and needed work done at two properties, 1 in MD and 1 in VA. So I ran her name on the MD court website. Lordy, she's been a BUSY BUSY lady! Multiple unsatisfied liens against her, and right before Christmas she was arrested on a warrant. The biz of investing and flipping is like mowing lawns, anyone can get into it I'd be more willing to finance for a home owner before I'd finance for an investor

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
gasoline prices have risen 12 cents per gallon (nationally) over the last 7 days and they're expected to continue to go up.

The people that worry about gas prices going up are not the people that are going to spend 20k on a hardscape. Assume gas prices go up .20 per gallon. Most people drive 14k per year. Increased costs for gas is $140
Old 02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
The people that worry about gas prices going up are not the people that are going to spend 20k on a hardscape. Assume gas prices go up .20 per gallon. Most people drive 14k per year. Increased costs for gas is $140
that's correct.

but when gas prices go up, it's not just the gas itself that goes up!

Food, clothing, building materials, lawn service, etc increases.

Its predicted that food costs will increase higher than ever this spring.

Not all jobs are $20k and above

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

When gas prices go up people generally dont travel as much. I have in countered that situation where a customer wants to do more around the property then drive to there families house hours away. Dont forget the gas prices affect use more than the customer in most cases.