Register free!

Old 04-15-2015, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
Thanks for the follow up. I appreciate the time taken to respond and the answers. Simple things like that mean that people do actually listen to us and is a good endorsement for Rainbird having someone like yourself doing that.
Thank you. That was very nice of you to say that.

Ron Wolfarth - Principal Product Manager - Rain Bird Corporation
Old 04-15-2015, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
You usually give very thoughtful explanations. I too am very disappointed in the remote. Could you explained what went wrong with it?
Posted via Mobile Device
I am very unfamiliar with our remote and there really wasn't a question there, only a comment. So, I didn't see anything to which to respond.

I will ask the Product Manager if he has a response to your "what went wrong" question. I don't agree or disagree with the premise of the question (something went wrong) because I simply don't know. I will get back to you.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My rain sensor of choice lately has been the WR2. I think I've read somewhere the batteries are supposed to last years but it seems I replace them much more often than that. I was replacing one today I know I put a new battery in last year and it had moisture in the battery compartment. Seems like I read there was an update designed to improve the seal of the battery. Can you elaborate on this? Would the distance from the interface to the transmitter have anything to do with battery life?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
My rain sensor of choice lately has been the WR2. I think I've read somewhere the batteries are supposed to last years but it seems I replace them much more often than that. I was replacing one today I know I put a new battery in last year and it had moisture in the battery compartment. Seems like I read there was an update designed to improve the seal of the battery. Can you elaborate on this? Would the distance from the interface to the transmitter have anything to do with battery life?
I am getting an answer for you. The Product Manager is out with a medical issue, so I am checking with others. I will respond as soon as I can, hopefully by the end of the day. I am out tomorrow traveling to my mother's 85th birthday celebration.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wolfarth View Post
I am getting an answer for you. The Product Manager is out with a medical issue, so I am checking with others. I will respond as soon as I can, hopefully by the end of the day. I am out tomorrow traveling to my mother's 85th birthday celebration.
You're lucky to celebrate with her!!!!

Happy birthday Ron's mom.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2015, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
You're lucky to celebrate with her!!!!

Happy birthday Ron's mom.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you, Jim. Longevity runs in my family.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I quickly got an answer.
We made some improvements to the WR2 product in January 2014. Here is what we did.
  1. Conformal coating of the circuit board inside the sensor transmitter. (The outdoor unit.)
  2. Added a vent to the sensor transmitter to reduce or eliminate condensation.
  3. Changed to a better battery from another supplier.

We found that battery life was being impacted by condensation which caused the battery to 'bleed off' power and waste it. The conformal coating prevents condensation from causing the 'short' on the board and the vent reduces or eliminates the formation of condensation. The better battery is just a better battery that lasts longer.

The distance between the units does not affect the power consumption, just impacts the signal quality.

Please get with your Rain Bird distributor or Rain Bird sales representative. If you have a unit manufactured after January 2014, we want to see it to determine what else is going wrong. Please have your distributor submit it to Rain Bird on what we call a "Product Reliability Report." This causes a thorough review of the product returned and a response to the distributor and you, if we have your contact info on the form.

If date of manufacture is before January 2014, your representative will want to see what can be done to stand behind our product.

If you want to contact your Rain Bird representative, but don't know him or her, PM me and I will get you in touch with them. Your distributor will be able to help you with this also.

Tags
rain bird , rainbird