Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

The X3 ran me $8,900. I traded in two old Wright Standers and a Fradan 13 hp blower to get it knocked down bit. Add sales tax and I'm back up to about $8,800. I estimate that it directly earned me $1,750 this season. So at that rate the payback would be a little over 5 years. Certainly, I hope to get more business in the future. Now that was just my experience if you are not using a pusher then I strongly believe that you will derive a far greater benefit. There are also the non- financial considerations: it's a lot more fun and a lot less tiring than pushing around a big blower. There is no risk off getting hurt because your walking backwards over uneven terrain half of the day (just don't impale yourself on a branch) and there is the sense of pride in having the very best equipment.
The JRCO is a significant improvement over tarping but, it is a intentionally limited product designed for a very small niche market that is extremely price sensitive. Nobody is going to pay $5k for a pusher that they'll use for a few weeks so the manufacturer has made compromises to reduce the cost and to attach to various machines. I spent over $1k building each of mine but, they have paid for themselves many times over since 1993.
I guess that we're not going to see Kellys' on a Hurricane, with those Fradans he is already kicking some leaf ass.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So the 3X is around 9500 OTD give or take? The jrco is weak if you hit anything solid with it. My first outing with it I bent it a little on a stump someone paved around. Do yours flip up over the deck for transporting? Also can you adjust the height? If I was running crews I would make ones like yours so they would last. BTW the stander push pretty well? Spin much? Oh does the 3x come with the hose and what not for the vac?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Casey, does the 314 double as a vac? I know in another thread XC has said the x3 does not.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandBLawncare View Post
Casey, does the 314 double as a vac? I know in another thread XC has said the x3 does not.
My bad it's just the 325 that has the vas option.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I guess that you can figure on $9,500 for the X3 after sales tax- kinda makes you want to travel to NH or some other state with no sales tax. I was on the Hurricane website a few days ago and they only show the 425 and the X3. The 425 has an optional vac kit. I don't know the pricing. If you are interested then you should check with a dealer.

Casey, my pusher is a dedicated unit that I mount to the drive section of a Stander. I remove the 6 bolts that hold the cutting deck on, slide the pusher frame on and use the same 6 bolts to secure the pusher. It is raised and lowered with a winch (if you look closely in one of the pics in picture thread you can see the hook hanging because we broke the cable that day). If I were to do it all over again then one change that I would make is to use an actuator instead of a winch. There is no height adjustment- it is not necessary. Up or down is all you need. There is the main curved front section with a wing on each side that I manually open and secure with a strap. Again, the pro way would be to use actuators. All the wiring for the lights, winch and it's control are separate from the mower. I just remove two connections to the battery and the bar over the steering and I'm done.

You brought up one of the reasons why I am critical of the JRCO. No matter how careful you are (and your workers are less so) you are going to hit things that you can't see because they are covered in leaves and because running around the yard on it is actually kind of fun and you're racing to get the job done before it gets dark or snows you can hit those things pretty hard.

Locallawncare, casey showed us a pic of his setup so I just wanted follow up on that. If you go with something like this in the future you've got to remember that you're going to need a good sized vac and/or combine it with say the Hurricane 425 vac system. Someone also pointed out that clogs could be a real pain so be sure that you get clear hose. I got mine from Blastgateco.com.