Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2h20 View Post
...I had a kid working early summer that had those hoops the size of quarters in his ears. second day i told him to take them out and will in the future....
A stud-post in the earlobe is one thing, as they a pretty low-key. But those lobe loops are a safety issue, as a guy can snag them on low hanging tree limbs and tear them right out of their ear!!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I'm just too old to understand the ear thing, when I was a DI in the Army we called them F@g tags LOL! I still say their not for men.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

SONG: "Long, beautiful hair"

To this end, I am just wondering what all you guys policy is on HAIR. Both in terms of length, and how much facial hair is too much. "Muttenchop" mustaches? goatees? beards? 2-day stubble? Elvis sideburns?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys really tell your employees how to cut their hair? Or that they cant have a moustache? That's crazy to me, this isn't the military. As long as they are in a clean work uniform, with pants, boots and eye and ear protection, they are ready to work in my opinion. One of my best employees, who was with us for five years had numerous tattoos and gauge earrings, not my style, but had no bearing on his performance at work or dealing with customers. If I hadn't hired him based on that, I would have missed out on a great employee. I see having non English speaking workers who cant effectively communicate with customers as a much bigger issue, hence why we only hire legal workers.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have a hair cut policy, but if they show up at the interview looking like they haven't shaved or had a haircut in weeks or months, you have to make a judgement call, even though this is not the military, I want guys that understand the importance of personal grooming and have a sense of pride in themselves. If you can't even wear your hair in some sense of decent fashion, or have enough sense to understand that the ear lobe thing is just plain ridiculous, then why would I want to hire you in the first place.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What would OSHA say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Mony View Post
You guys really tell your employees how to cut their hair? Or that they cant have a moustache? That's crazy to me, this isn't the military. As long as they are in a clean work uniform, with pants, boots and eye and ear protection, they are ready to work in my opinion. One of my best employees, who was with us for five years had numerous tattoos and gauge earrings, not my style, but had no bearing on his performance at work or dealing with customers. If I hadn't hired him based on that, I would have missed out on a great employee. I see having non English speaking workers who cant effectively communicate with customers as a much bigger issue, hence why we only hire legal workers.
Hey, there are quite a few company's that have requirements about length of hair. And to what extent that facial hair is permitted. Image does have something to do with it. But there is also the aspect of safety of the environment that you're working in. Long hair can snag up in things. So no hair length below the collar. Then there are the applicators that are mixing and applying various chemical pesticides. As such, you need to have a good fitting respirator and/or dust mask. So no beards or goatees. In the end, its not personal, its just good business.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
Hey, there are quite a few company's that have requirements about length of hair. And to what extent that facial hair is permitted. Image does have something to do with it. But there is also the aspect of safety of the environment that you're working in. Long hair can snag up in things. So no hair length below the collar. Then there are the applicators that are mixing and applying various chemical pesticides. As such, you need to have a good fitting respirator and/or dust mask. So no beards or goatees. In the end, its not personal, its just good business.
I agree completely on the long hair being a safety issue, but never had an employee with long hair, so I wasn't thinking along those lines. I was thinking along the lines of telling employees to get a certain haircut. No respirators since we aren't doing spray work, but that is a valid point if you do. thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I don't have a hair cut policy, but if they show up at the interview looking like they haven't shaved or had a haircut in weeks or months, you have to make a judgement call, even though this is not the military, I want guys that understand the importance of personal grooming and have a sense of pride in themselves. If you can't even wear your hair in some sense of decent fashion, or have enough sense to understand that the ear lobe thing is just plain ridiculous, then why would I want to hire you in the first place.
make sense, guess I give my guys a little more freedom in that regard. most all have short haircuts, but some decided to grow their beards which I have no problem with. The employee I had for the past 5 seasons with gauge earrings and tattoos was one of my most productive, needed very little oversight, had a great eye for any project I put him on, and showed up on time or early to work...every single day.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Mony View Post
I agree completely on the long hair being a safety issue, but never had an employee with long hair, so I wasn't thinking along those lines. I was thinking along the lines of telling employees to get a certain haircut. No respirators since we aren't doing spray work, but that is a valid point if you do. thanks for the input

make sense, guess I give my guys a little more freedom in that regard. most all have short haircuts, but some decided to grow their beards which I have no problem with. The employee I had for the past 5 seasons with gauge earrings and tattoos was one of my most productive, needed very little oversight, had a great eye for any project I put him on, and showed up on time or early to work...every single day.
Yep, Like I said you have to make a judgement call sometimes, sounds like you picked a winner.