Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
That is one of the many reasons I don't offer per cut service.
I can understand it in like every other state, but with our 6 month monsoon summer, no way in hell I would do per cut. Even non fert/irrigated yards grow like crazy. There are plenty good customers out there that nobody needs to waste thier time with the bottom feeders.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I have. You have to remember we had a dry summer last year. I had some ask me to do it on a per cut as well. They think they will get there moneys worth this way. we mow on av. 26 times last year we had 14. If some one paid for 26 and only got 14 out of it I think there checking if this is going to be a new trend in the summer. Dont sweat it. charge per cut and dont sweat it. Have a talk with him and ask him if he has any concerns? I talk to my clients. I was asked this year if I would do a per cut for a common ground job we do . they have paid up front for years until now because of the drought. And people ARE mad at us and think IT IS OUR FAULT that the laws were dry. Some people dont think . Last thought, If you do have 5 in a row you might want to think about a discount for all of them. like 10%? people who have money dont like to wast it. and times are hard for all of us so yes, charge less to keep them. but dont do it for free, you should know what you can do. good luck!
52" Toro T floating deck
48" Toro
3 toro PP mowers
stihl power tools
Eco Hedge Trimmer
2008 Tundra
brown bed edger
Turco bed edger
side walk edger
slit seeder
14 and 12' trailers
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalllc View Post
I have. You have to remember we had a dry summer last year. I had some ask me to do it on a per cut as well. They think they will get there moneys worth this way. we mow on av. 26 times last year we had 14. If some one paid for 26 and only got 14 out of it I think there checking if this is going to be a new trend in the summer. Dont sweat it. charge per cut and dont sweat it. Have a talk with him and ask him if he has any concerns? I talk to my clients. I was asked this year if I would do a per cut for a common ground job we do . they have paid up front for years until now because of the drought. And people ARE mad at us and think IT IS OUR FAULT that the laws were dry. Some people dont think . Last thought, If you do have 5 in a row you might want to think about a discount for all of them. like 10%? people who have money dont like to wast it. and times are hard for all of us so yes, charge less to keep them. but dont do it for free, you should know what you can do. good luck!
We had the drought last year also, but the same number of cuts as usual, because we started so much earlier last year. At this time, I was on my third cut last year. This year, I will mow for the first time tomorrow or whenever the rain stops again.

As for the five in a row, I would do my best to keep them with customer service and make the most of the good while it lasts. I had five customers all at one stop, but people moved, one guy became a pita, things always change.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be missed is the big picture, I did not want another LCO moving into the middle of five great customers because of discontent with one customer. I have avoided that scenario. Everyone must deal with that type of potential disaster in their own way.