Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
What did I tell you, but you guys probably thought my bid was a joke.

Here it is again:
One hundred and forty six dollars and thirty cents, plus tax.

You could have had the job.
But I understand, pride getting in the way, it's cool.

It's only 6 acres, that bid is inside the ballpark for what qualifies as the going rate.
Around my necks we only get $40 for one acre, $65 for two, $85 for three, $100 for 4 and +$15 for each acre past four.
So six would have come out to $130 but we do tack on the regulatory fees which brings it to $146.30 +tax

Yes sir, guess some of you are in for a rude awakening.
Pride has nothing to do with it, I gave the guy a price based on what I need to make a profit, not just break even. Being a legit company comes with quite a bit of overhead, operating expenses, and of course money for my company and then myself. I have an hourly rate figured as to what I need to generate per hour of working to turn a profit. I'd be losing $ mowing that place for $135. Apparently my overhead is higher than the guy that's currently doing it. The customer's wife mentioned to me that he "claimed" to be insured and licensed but never showed her any documentation. I WAS able to provide proof of being a legal company. So without all that legal business stuff, maybe he is making some money on that job. Or he just made up a price to get the mowing for something to do. If I'm not making money with my machine, profit money that is, not just break even money, then it will sit on the trailer rather than lose money. I'm also not going to work for 4 hours+ just to break even on a mowing job. If I can't manage to put money in my pocket for my time spent working and running my business, I'd sooner wrap it up, sell my stuff and sit on the couch. So again, my price wasn't based on any factor of pride, it was based on basic math and logic.

You mentioned this would be the going rate for your area. What area is that anyway?