Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 AM
LawnSite Member

That is true. tonygreek - what are some things that you wish could be automated and you'd be willing to pay for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Call it an educated hunch, but I think the biggest challenge is not that, as the wants are easy to identify. Finding something that LCOs are willing to pay for, and at a sum that makes it worth your while, is the real challenge.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fuel cost, can you fix it? lol
Old 09-04-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

OK how about this... a lot of people use free map measuring services that are based off Google maps/earth. How about something that uses Bing/maps. In my area (southern WV, SW VA) Bing has a LOT better and closer resolution photos. There are times that we print off color photos of large clients properties when preparing bids showing lengths, area, etc... and it's just not that great using Google. I know Bing has a few map plug ins, but still, it's waaaay far behind Google.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

No But I'd like to understand where do you spend most amount of fuel and if there are easy ways to cut down the usage. For e.g.
- Do you spend a lot of trips to the fields for estimates that lead to no sales? Is there a way to create these estimates from the office and save the trip?
- Do you lose time and fuel due to inefficient routing of crew and equipment? etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Fuel cost, can you fix it? lol
Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

That's very interesting - I'd have thought Google has the latest satellite imagery. It should be simple to do a measurement service with Bing. I'd be interested in knowing how you go about preparing the bid to get the bigger picture. Happy to continue this conversation off-thread - I can't PM yet - maybe you can give me your email. Or my email is in the About Me section of my profile if you want to get in touch. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
OK how about this... a lot of people use free map measuring services that are based off Google maps/earth. How about something that uses Bing/maps. In my area (southern WV, SW VA) Bing has a LOT better and closer resolution photos. There are times that we print off color photos of large clients properties when preparing bids showing lengths, area, etc... and it's just not that great using Google. I know Bing has a few map plug ins, but still, it's waaaay far behind Google.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronp View Post
That's very interesting - I'd have thought Google has the latest satellite imagery. It should be simple to do a measurement service with Bing. I'd be interested in knowing how you go about preparing the bid to get the bigger picture. Happy to continue this conversation off-thread - I can't PM yet - maybe you can give me your email. Or my email is in the About Me section of my profile if you want to get in touch. Thanks!
I'll send you an email
Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronp View Post
No But I'd like to understand where do you spend most amount of fuel and if there are easy ways to cut down the usage. For e.g.
- Do you spend a lot of trips to the fields for estimates that lead to no sales? Is there a way to create these estimates from the office and save the trip?
- Do you lose time and fuel due to inefficient routing of crew and equipment? etc.
I have it all down pretty good but my mowers and trucks still burn more than I would like. lol