LawnSite Silver Member

The waterfall is keen.

starrynightlighting.com

"Always look on the bright side of life."
Old 01-25-2016, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real Mike Gambino View Post
Three steps are illuminated with surgical precision from above with 3 3 watt LED spots mounted in the Camphor tree. There is an additional 5 watt LED hanging fixture above the middle of the tree which is filling in the trunk and projecting the sharp shadows from the branches on the grass.
Anyone know what he was using for the downlighting that is illuminating the walkway?

Well crap, picture didn't carryover in the quote... Post # 761
Old 01-25-2016, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what mike uses, but we use Kichler 15494AZT with a frosted lens and a 4w drop in. Usually about 20-24' high. It comes with a mount and SS hanger bolts.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169

CREATIVE LANDSCAPE ILLUMINATION

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere

www.thelightinggeek.com
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here are some preliminary photos to show you the results of the custom wall mount lights (step lights) that I mentioned a couple months ago. We ended up ditching our original idea because I wasn't happy with the gap that was created when we cut out the openings. Instead, we ended up fabricating some polished aluminum face plates that would fit flat against the openings, creating as little protrusion as possible. This ended up giving it a more clean looking finish and more toward a contemporary style, which is what the client was looking for. This is only phase 1, but phase 2 should be completed in a couple of weeks once the pool has been renovated. The photos are horrible, so take it easy on your critique until later. The hot-spots in the photos are not there in person. Once we get phase 2 completed, I'll be bringing in my photographer to get some images that are more accurately descriptive of the actual results.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No worries about the photos Chris, cell phones never take good night photos, but at least you showed us what you ended up going with-Thanks for posting those. I really like how clean and contemporary that looks in that setting. Very cool

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The face plates really did turn out very well. I was worried about not having louvers over the slits in the face plate, but because the fixture body is set so far back into the wall, the light source can not be seen so there is no irritating glare. By the way, we didn't put lights in the fire pit. That is actual flames. The heavy blue color is due to the propane.
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Here are some preliminary photos to show you the results of the custom wall mount lights (step lights) that I mentioned a couple months ago. We ended up ditching our original idea because I wasn't happy with the gap that was created when we cut out the openings. Instead, we ended up fabricating some polished aluminum face plates that would fit flat against the openings, creating as little protrusion as possible. This ended up giving it a more clean looking finish and more toward a contemporary style, which is what the client was looking for. This is only phase 1, but phase 2 should be completed in a couple of weeks once the pool has been renovated. The photos are horrible, so take it easy on your critique until later. The hot-spots in the photos are not there in person. Once we get phase 2 completed, I'll be bringing in my photographer to get some images that are more accurately descriptive of the actual results.
Looks good! Here is potato quality photo of a bistro setup we just got done with. The clients are extremely happy with it. I'm hoping they'll opt to add another couple of layers light-wise but this has definitely worked to create the party/festive atmosphere! (We did the hardscape/landscape, too)

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That looks awesome! I've had numerous people inquire about doing year-round "bistro" type lighting, but I've been turning them down simply because we've been so busy and I've always felt like the return vs the time/labor would bog me down when my time could be better spent elsewhere. The more I see it though, the more I'm starting to warm up to the idea. Maybe it's time to hire another employee and start taking some of this work! Thanks for the post.... looks great!
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
That looks awesome! I've had numerous people inquire about doing year-round "bistro" type lighting, but I've been turning them down simply because we've been so busy and I've always felt like the return vs the time/labor would bog me down when my time could be better spent elsewhere. The more I see it though, the more I'm starting to warm up to the idea. Maybe it's time to hire another employee and start taking some of this work! Thanks for the post.... looks great!
Thanks! Honestly now that we've done several of them and have the little "tricks" down, it has become just as profitable as our normal installs. PM me if you want some insight tips/tricks.