Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seeding--particularly renovation over old grass is not an exact science that is for sure. There are just so many variables.
I am now thinking an extra step after application of the seed into partially loosened soil would be helpful. An additional raking or dragging to mix or incorporate the seed into the top 1/4 inch of soil would probably be helpful. Dragging some fence behind a lawn tractor would be quick and easy.

Does anyone have side by side comparisons or experience in renovation seedings?

The risk with rain is that, the seed may begin to germinate due to soil moisture or a light rain--and then die if no additional rain falls. Like last night...we were supposed to get rain...missed us by going 50 miles north.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 09-02-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added
Old 09-02-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a link to my 2012 test with various rates of Pennington seed applied over dying crabgrass.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=390687
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

redo with pics

Here is the picture of the lawn renovation after the drought of 2012 killed out the first seeding.
The foreground 6 feet (no seed) is the old lawn that was reseeded in fall of 2012. The rest in the background was sprayed with weed crab control and cut as short as possible. Used thatcher blade. Seeded. No fert. Dead grass reapplied as mulch. About 20 bags of compost was applied on top. Done in late August. He used Pennington retail Sun and Shade Mix. He applied excess, 40 pounds on about 4000 square feet. Sown just before two good rains. Sprinkled with hose after that.
Not mowed yet.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

More seed and more water... looks like he's losing the game...
Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wondered if he balked at letting you take. Photo. This helps put the above on perspective. He's making progress.

I'll say this: the guy is an optimist planning for shade at this stage!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

He was OK with taking the cell phone pic. Soil is sandy, infertile. Weather has been dry for at least a week. High temps about 84. He is sprinkling, lightly each day, but hoping for rain, (none predicted).

Lawn at new house about 300 feet away in the distant background had irrigation installed in spring 2013; new lawn was then hydroseeded, by a local company--and guaranteed. Owner probably didn't understand instructions. He was warned, "Do not drown it; run these 8 feet half-circle spray heads about 10 minutes each day." I suspect he ran all the zones including the big rotary sprinklers at 10 minutes per day. New grass was poor except on the north side of house. Distant lawn was treated with glyphosate and hydroseeded again about August 25th.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

lawn redo

So far the new grass looks good. Not mowed yet. He was sprinkling about a half hour per day. Temps in low 80's. Rained 2 inches in the last 24 hours. No starter fert. This pic is at about 3 weeks after seed. The area about 6 feet from the camera, close foreground was not reseeded and remains a bit thin. You can see some dark clumps of grass--that is last year's thin remaining grass; its more mature so it is darker green.

Nothing dramatic, sorry. But then--that is good news.

Dirt area in the distance was hydroseeded and not watered much in June, in spite of new sprinkler system. It died, and the company guaranteed it. So it was killed, tilled and rehydroseeded about Sept 4th. The new lawn in between was seeded by the homeowner. Not watered much. Poor result. Now mainly crabgrass.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am stunned that you got 2" of rain. We have not had any. 0.05 on 9/2 and 0.1 on 9/7. Before that it was 1.7 on 8/21. Still, 0.15 in last 20 days has been tough. I know others on here have had even less.

Are you going to come out of retirement for this lawn?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Redo result

My neighbor's new lawn was seeded in spring of 2012, but it got hot and 99 percent died.
He mowed short and used a thatcher blade to power rake. He seeded and used the residue like straw to hold the moisture. He watered about 30 minutes each day and had a few showers. Temps today about 75.
He fertilized a couple days ago and made a minor burn in one spot. About 20-0-10.

Here is the result after first mowing--at about 30 days.

Nothing special; he started in fall, prepared soil well and watered regularly--and that resulted in success. Pennington seed (mainly rye).
Attached Images