Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
I can see bidding low, if it is slow and you want to keep your employees working. Why not increase your price and make more?

I can not see bidding low.

Low balling is low balling whatever the reason and it only harms long term pricing.

If it is that slow so either lay off someone or cut back people from 40 hours to 30 hours till someone quits or business picks up.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

60-70 for mulch is not lowballing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you are busy.
IF you can't handle the work.
You have options.

1) tell the customers asking that you are booked solid, and just say no.
2) refer them to someone else who might be able to do the work, because you can't.

In neither case are you entitled to, or should have a "piece" of that work.
It's not your work.

IF you sign up the work, and have an agreement and then get someone else to do it, that's subcontracting.
then hopefully you get a little piece of it.

I have people ask me to do weird stuff all the time, because I have a pick up truck.
Haul boulders for them?
Trash runs.
move things.
rent out my trucks for their amusement?

No.no.no and no.

IF I refer someone, "Hey bob is going to haul trash on monday, call him as see if he's interested in hauling trash for you" and bob happens to make money off that, Am I owed some sort of compensation?

You say you get all your work by word of mouth.
Let me ask, do you give everyone who referred YOU a piece of YOUR action?
Old 06-06-2014, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with tpenda on this.

If the property is out of our route, not in service area or we just can't take on any more, I got a few people, some from plowsite, that i hand them off to them, no compensation or anything. I even had a few signed agreements from customers this year that didnt fit into our routes anymore, gave them a call, said we can't service your property for xx services but we will still be performing xx service, I have been referring people in your area to xxx, they do good work are a small locally owned company like ours, would you like me to contact them and have them give you a call."

Thats what I do, I dont expect and compensation or anything. Just that the company doesnt go after services we are providing for the customer. Has worked out great so far.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

i would be thrilled to have all those jobs coming in. are you sure that the work is priced right?, if so continue and hire more quality people (you need grunts, go-fors, managers, foremans, lead hands, smart people, people with experience, also try to get at least one golden goose) if you can only afford to pay a few laborers minimum wage to do your jobs, it's not scaleable, when you get this going your new title should be "customer service manager" if you're so good at it and want to grow the business and maybe make a lot more money, just do that one thing.

Otherwise subcontract it out, talk to close friends and family you trust, talk to a good lawyer (needed to draft your contracts), an accountant, figure out what you need to get out of it and approach companies in the area, you may want to look for new, small, or any company with a good reputation to subcontract your work out. But your view and the atmosphere you should cultivate should be of a partnership with your subcontractees.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it is the end of winter, and you are dumping a large amount of mulch on beds, without any new growth, you could make money. If it is May or June, and you have to spread around, over,and in between plants, and you are working seven days a week, and paying OT, and getting $60 to $70 a yard, I think you can find more profitable work.