Register free!

Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You say a 15-0-5 with Formalene but how much actual nitrogen per 1000 are you applying?

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some of you guys are starting to sound like me

I said in another thread that it is a mission of mine to transition lawn guys away from saying “my lawn has a fungus” and move us toward being specific about what disease (including turf species, weather conditions, and identifying characteristics) we’re seeing. Similarly, I consider it my life’s mission to change the way lawn guys talk about fertilizer.

Instead of talking about what analysis fertilizer they’re using, the more comparable thing is what nutrient rate is being applied. You’re exactly right that just saying “I’m using 15-0-5” is useless information. It’s like saying “my lawn’s got a fungus.” Telling us how much nutrient you’re applying (for example, “1# N/M using a soluble source” or “1# N/M using 50% soluble and 50% slow release) is much more informative. On the disease side, talking about the disease specifically (my tall fescue lawn is showing brown patch lesions and cottony mycelium) is much more informative than saying “my lawn has a fungus.”

We could even extend this to herbicides. I see a lot of guys say “I use xx ounces per gallon.” That means nothing! If you’re using it as a spray-to-wet application, then it would be OK to say that. But, when guys say “I use xx ounces per gallon out of my Z-spray” it means nothing if you don’t include your application volume and make everyone do the math to figure out your question.

The ability to think about and talk about what we do in standardized terms (amount of nutrient applied or amount of pesticide applied per unit area) versus individualized terms (“I’m using 15-0-5” or “I’m using xx ounces per gallon”) is just one of the things that separates turf professionals from lawn guys.

End of rant
Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said, Skipster. All of my estimates, invoices, and pesticide application records have this information just as you describe.

Scotty: based on your 200 gallon tank covering 150,000 sq feet and the rate for Quicksilver of 1 oz/acre, you would add 3.44 oz Quicksilver per 200 gallons. FYI it costs in the neighborhood of $160 for an 8 oz bottle. Since it covers 8 acres that's only 46 cents per 1,000 sq ft though.

Also, why do you need liquid weed control for both your 2nd and 3rd applications?

Last edited by foreplease; 07-22-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Forgot somethin'
Old 07-22-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
You say a 15-0-5 with Formalene but how much actual nitrogen per 1000 are you applying?
2.5 lb
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Some of you guys are starting to sound like me

I said in another thread that it is a mission of mine to transition lawn guys away from saying “my lawn has a fungus” and move us toward being specific about what disease (including turf species, weather conditions, and identifying characteristics) we’re seeing. Similarly, I consider it my life’s mission to change the way lawn guys talk about fertilizer.

Instead of talking about what analysis fertilizer they’re using, the more comparable thing is what nutrient rate is being applied. You’re exactly right that just saying “I’m using 15-0-5” is useless information. It’s like saying “my lawn’s got a fungus.” Telling us how much nutrient you’re applying (for example, “1# N/M using a soluble source” or “1# N/M using 50% soluble and 50% slow release) is much more informative. On the disease side, talking about the disease specifically (my tall fescue lawn is showing brown patch lesions and cottony mycelium) is much more informative than saying “my lawn has a fungus.”

We could even extend this to herbicides. I see a lot of guys say “I use xx ounces per gallon.” That means nothing! If you’re using it as a spray-to-wet application, then it would be OK to say that. But, when guys say “I use xx ounces per gallon out of my Z-spray” it means nothing if you don’t include your application volume and make everyone do the math to figure out your question.

The ability to think about and talk about what we do in standardized terms (amount of nutrient applied or amount of pesticide applied per unit area) versus individualized terms (“I’m using 15-0-5” or “I’m using xx ounces per gallon”) is just one of the things that separates turf professionals from lawn guys.

End of rant
I'm a lot of things, a dad, a family man, a whitewater kayakers ect. I don't have to desire to be a lawn Nazi, or Turf Professional. I'm happy just being a lawn guy.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Scottypoo; 07-22-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Well said, Skipster. All of my estimates, invoices, and pesticide application records have this information just as you describe.

Scotty: based on your 200 gallon tank covering 150,000 sq feet and the rate for Quicksilver of 1 oz/acre, you would add 3.44 oz Quicksilver per 200 gallons. FYI it costs in the neighborhood of $160 for an 8 oz bottle. Since it covers 8 acres that's only 46 cents per 1,000 sq ft though.

Also, why do you need liquid weed control for both your 2nd and 3rd applications?
Different weeds pop up between apps. Oxalis comes during mid to late second app so I need to knock that shot down as it pops up. which leads into 3rd app. Do you all just fert with pellets and spot spray for the most part.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2014, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like you didn't come here looking for a lecture on how to be more professional.(I don't blame you!) You came here looking for advice on what you could use/add to your tank to knock out tough weeds that 3-way type herbicides will not take out on their own (and still be cost effective).

I totally agree with FdLawnman's initial assessment. Spike your tank with Triclopyr...I'd use it if I could but Bermuda is susceptible to its use. I keep a little around as an additive for my brush killer mix and my mix to remove Bermuda from Zoysia. I'd use it more extensively but I can't given 90% of my lawns are Bermuda. It's not too expensive when used to spike with in your tank and its effective.

A professional reads labels themselves and figures out for themself what rates/ techniques they chooses to apply. You seem to be fully capable of that in my estimation.

Sometimes you have to take the bull by the horns and cut through the "Preaching" that tends to go on around here to get the info you came for...

Good Luck

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor