Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:00 AM
dathorpe dathorpe is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marshall, Va.
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
I think you have the two best engine combos with the 35 and 29. Do you run any standers or WBs?
I have two 48" Exmark walk behinds - one is a belt drive Metro and the other is a hydro Turf Tracer. Both have the ECS handles and I prefer them over the old style pistol grips. I am curious about that new walk behind Scag is working on because the handles look very similar to the ECS handles. As for standers, I don't own one but I do like the Gravely Pro Stance. Might have to demo one of those somewhere down the road. Also, I'm keeping a close eye on that Commercial Exmark 30. I could use one of those as an upgrade over the standard 21". How about yourself, Runner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
We are busy too. It is crazy right now and I actually want the calls and emails to slow down some so we can establish a good schedule.

While running the route last Sat. we picked up 7 new properties that day. On top of that, I've noticed more people wanting additional services. We didn't have that last season.
It's the damndest thing... if you work hard and do quality work, people want to hire you AND tell all their neighbors about you. Hire more men, run your a$$ off, add a few more gray hairs, try to make everyone happy... and make lots of money. And know that you made it happen. 'Course, all of this is going to pi$$ off some liberals but so be it. Pardon the political barb.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Blade Runners's Avatar
Blade Runners Blade Runners is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Woodlawn, TN
Posts: 836
For WBs, right now we run a fixed deck 36 hydro SWZ. We are only in our second season and when we first started I was really cautious about buying high priced equipment for a startup biz. Now I am looking at getting a 52 V Ride and 36 V Ride for a second crew. I'm gonna try to go lighter on the second crew in order to improve efficiency. 52s are our sweet spot for deck size because it will fit through most of our gates and can still cut our larger properties reasonably fast. I am really sold on Scag with the V+ deck and the combination of cut quality and procuctivity it provides.

If I told you the way I have to run my business you wouldn't believe it. We are limited on growth right now due to manpower. This season has really opened my eyes to the growth potential that good advertising and good work can provide. I really felt good when last seasons customers started requesting additional services that we don't list anywhere in advertisements. Also, many last season customers have started calling us to arrange for services again this year. We picked up so many new customers this season we were barely able to accommodate them and wasn't able to contact last seasons as fast as I had planned. Word of mouth advertising is also starting to kick in which means more to me than anything. That is a big confidence booster and let's me know we are headed in the right direction.
__________________

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 AM
dathorpe dathorpe is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marshall, Va.
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
For WBs, right now we run a fixed deck 36 hydro SWZ. We are only in our second season and when we first started I was really cautious about buying high priced equipment for a startup biz. Now I am looking at getting a 52 V Ride and 36 V Ride for a second crew. I'm gonna try to go lighter on the second crew in order to improve efficiency. 52s are our sweet spot for deck size because it will fit through most of our gates and can still cut our larger properties reasonably fast. I am really sold on Scag with the V+ deck and the combination of cut quality and procuctivity it provides.
I am blown away by the V+ deck... and Scag in general. I am curious about the V-Ride. But, right now, I really don't have an application for a stander. Most of our properties are large estates. We do have some quarter to half acre lots but I'm mostly running WB's on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
If I told you the way I have to run my business you wouldn't believe it. We are limited on growth right now due to manpower. This season has really opened my eyes to the growth potential that good advertising and good work can provide.
What type of advertising did you use that was so successful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
I really felt good when last seasons customers started requesting additional services that we don't list anywhere in advertisements. Also, many last season customers have started calling us to arrange for services again this year. We picked up so many new customers this season we were barely able to accommodate them and wasn't able to contact last seasons as fast as I had planned. Word of mouth advertising is also starting to kick in which means more to me than anything. That is a big confidence booster and let's me know we are headed in the right direction.
If you believe you can, you might. If you believe you can't, you're right.

Sounds like you got it rolling, Runner. Word of mouth is huge. Clients will always appreciate honesty, hard work, and someone who does exactly what he said he would do.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Sharps_lawn&landscaping Sharps_lawn&landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 84
New TT's

I got to demo the new scag walk behind for a day about a week ago when the scag rep cane I . It's very similar to the ex mark. Guys that like ex mark will love it. Very we'll built for price point. I'm honestly a fan of v ride controls alot more than the pistol style even on the new mower. I run scag turf tigers, v rides , and all toro walk behind hydrostatic with the t2 controls. If they would have face the option for v ride controls I would have been sold on it .
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 PM
krrp1212 krrp1212 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wetumpka AL
Posts: 37
The 35 briggs isnt that bad...i have 2 briggs and 2 kawasaki 29dfi...they 35 briggs burns about 1.5 tanks to the 29dfi
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Pietro's Avatar
Pietro Pietro is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 819
Nice prices. I was going to get scags when I started, but they wanted lots of money for interest. I ended up going with a different major brand due to the 0% financing. Nice machines thou. Take care of them. If you treat them right you should see 4,000 hours. Best of luck with them.
__________________
Pete
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 AM.

Page generated in 0.06769 seconds with 10 queries