Old 09-30-2015, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member
Originally Posted by zman9119 View Post
Ron -

I know this could be a loaded question, but:

How come Rain Bird has not released a better \ different style controller that can be operated off of a non AC power source (e.g. battery) than the TBOS?

Is there no market share? They do not see it as a need? Market already overtaken by other vendors? Cost? No engineers that want to do it?
I can't address specific new product development (NPD), but I can comment in general.

There is always a long list of product ideas we have. We rank them by need/opportunity. We work them in that priority order and as people become available to work on them. We continuously work NPD except if we have too many high priority quality improvement projects in the works. Quality always supersedes NPD.

So, if we have not yet released a product you think we should have, it is because other projects have taken priority.

BTW, I agree with you that it is overdue for us to release a new battery operated control system. TBOS (Turf Battery Operated System) has been around for a long time. It dominates the battery controlled market in Europe, which is large. But I am sure there are ways we could make an even better one.
Thank you for your interest in Rain Bird products.
Ron Wolfarth - Principal Product Manager - Rain Bird Corporation
(520) 741-6539
Old 09-30-2015, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member
Originally Posted by Ron Wolfarth View Post
I can't address specific new product development (NPD), but I can comment in general.
But... I signed that paper that promised my life and 5 years of salary, plus first born and half of the second born to learn this information!!!

I do not come across it often, as usually the power issue is figured out during the design phase, but just had it pop up today where we had installed a bunch of valves (RB) already for a project to find out the electrical connections are 5-7 months out (new service drops; the feed is literally 17 feet away with the correct set-up, that is just how long it takes the power company to complete installing a meter...).

Normally we would use a controller and valves from "the other guys", but since we already have the valves installed we are left looking at the TBOS again or Toro for a controller.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic
Originally Posted by zman9119 View Post
.....or Toro.....
Nobody expects Toro
Attached Images

rain bird , rainbird