Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
I would have let the price tell him no. Had a call for a long yard like this ended up getting a weekly acct out of it along with 30k in extras.Never know.
Bingo. Now that i have my tractor, ive started going after the job the regular mowers cant handle. Pretty sure ill have my tractor payed off by end of the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Bingo. Now that i have my tractor, ive started going after the job the regular mowers cant handle. Pretty sure ill have my tractor payed off by end of the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
don't forget about garden work too.... I try to keep the Kubota going at least 3 days a week doing the "rough stuff" no one else wants.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

To the OP - this is a good learning situation on how to grow your business. Instead of flat out saying no, like others have said, let the price tell him no, or alternatively, source the brush hogger quote yourself (hopefully you have a connection who would give you a good price), and put 30% margin on it (the price divided by .70 will give you a 30% profit margin on it) and quote it to the guy. From there you could set him up 3 times a year on it and possibly expand that into other business with him, or gain an additional word of mouth advertising from him.

I am not a professional LCO - but I AM a professional salesman who knows how to sell.... Never walk away from anyone who is asking you to take their money!

I would get a brush hog quote, and then go back to the guy and say "hey I can do X for X amount, 3 times a year" and go from there. If the guy knew who to call he would have done so before asking you. He obviously sees your work and has a trust factor already in his mind about you and your work.

Don't walk away from it - take his $!

Good luck and BTW - that Bob Cat looks like it makes a nice cut! Looks good!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
To the OP - this is a good learning situation on how to grow your business. Instead of flat out saying no, like others have said, let the price tell him no, or alternatively, source the brush hogger quote yourself (hopefully you have a connection who would give you a good price), and put 30% margin on it (the price divided by .70 will give you a 30% profit margin on it) and quote it to the guy. From there you could set him up 3 times a year on it and possibly expand that into other business with him, or gain an additional word of mouth advertising from him.

I am not a professional LCO - but I AM a professional salesman who knows how to sell.... Never walk away from anyone who is asking you to take their money!

I would get a brush hog quote, and then go back to the guy and say "hey I can do X for X amount, 3 times a year" and go from there. If the guy knew who to call he would have done so before asking you. He obviously sees your work and has a trust factor already in his mind about you and your work.

Don't walk away from it - take his $!

Good luck and BTW - that Bob Cat looks like it makes a nice cut! Looks good!
Great post.
I would have asked or if I was there and saw the field in a time when it was cut to at least see if anything was in the way, I'd probably do it with my Scag. Set the deck all the way up and let it fly. Better yet, find a local farmer (if there's any near by) and have them bale it 3 times a year. You charge the customer, the farmer gets the material for free.

Last edited by orangemower; 05-27-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do it all the time with the oldest 72 I have, set it to highest level and go after it. Faster than most brush hogs and looks really good when done.