JOB - Associate Director of Environmental Program at Audubon International
Associate Director of Environmental Programs
Audubon International (AI) seeks a highly-qualified and enthusiastic individual to serve as an Associate Director of Environmental Programs. The incumbent will be primarily responsible for overseeing the Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program (ACSP) and ACSP for Golf, and will join a team of program managers implementing additional Audubon International programs: the Signature Program, the Green Lodging Program, and the Sustainable Communities Program. The incumbent will directly engage a wide range of stakeholders (golf course superintendents, club managers, property managers, government agencies, nongovernmental organizations, academic institutions, etc.), and report directly to the Executive Director.
AI is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit environmental organization headquartered in the Albany-area of upstate New York. Our mission is to deliver high-quality environmental education and facilitate the sustainable management of land, water, wildlife, and other natural resources in all places people live, work, and play. The organization, which has been in existence for over 25 years and is not affiliated with National Audubon, works with a wide range of interested partners, including golf courses, developers, agriculture producers, small businesses, large corporations, academic institutions, fellow not-for-profits, community associations, local governments, and state and federal agencies. Through education, technical assistance, certification, and recognition, Audubon International facilitates the implementation of natural resource management practices that ensure land, water, wildlife, and other natural resources are sustainably used and conserved.
ACSP & ACSP for Golf
The ACSP is an education and certification program that helps organizations and businesses protect our environment while enhancing their bottom line. The program offers information and guidance to implement an environmental management plan that improves efficiency, conserves resources, and promotes conservation efforts. Audubon International awards certification to publicly recognize and reward the environmental achievements and leadership of ACSP members.
The ACSP for Golf is a widely recognized and highly-regarded education and certification program that helps protect our environment and preserve the natural heritage of the game of golf. The program serves as a valuable resource for golf courses by facilitating the conservation and restoration of wildlife habitat, enhancing environmental health, improving economic efficiency by reducing operating costs, minimizing potentially harmful impacts of golf course operations, and providing courses with valuable communication and marketing tools.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Program Member Service
* Assist AI members—primarily in the golf industry—in the development of management plans and other technical documents required as a component of the organization's rigorous education and certification process.
* Serve members via requests for information through timely in-person, written, telephone, and email communication.
* Conduct periodic site visits to assist members with ongoing environmental planning and management activities.
* Cooperate with AI’s network of partners to ensure that program materials are up-to-date and disseminated to appropriate audiences.
Outreach & Education
* In conjunction with other staff members, the incumbent will play a leading role in marketing and promoting all of AI's education and certification programs through direct sales and special events.
* Develop and conduct seminars, presentations, and informational briefings to help educate AI members (active and prospective) about the benefits of sustainable natural resource management and the efficacy of the organization's approach to environmental stewardship.
* Promote all AI programs via stakeholder meetings, media interviews, newsletters, and participation in various industry and environmental working groups.
* Play a leading role in the growth of program membership and the development of relationships with other public and private sector organizations interested in partnering with AI in the delivery of the its education and certification programs.
* Work with AI staff to develop and implement yearly goals, objectives, strategies, and budget proposals for ACSP and ACSP Golf programs in conjunction with other programs being implemented by the organization.
* Participate in organization- and program-level strategic planning efforts.
* Coordinate with appropriate AI's staff to ensure that information maintained in the organization's web-based member database is up-to-date and accurate.
* A bachelor's degree in an appropriate field of study (i.e., recreational turf management, horticulture, landscape architecture, natural resource management) with relevant and related professional experience, OR a master's / certificate degree in an appropriate field of study with relevant professional experience
* Must be dedicated to educating and encouraging golf course superintendents and other types of land managers become actively involved in environmental stewardship projects
* Excellent interpersonal communication skills and experience working with diverse constituencies and membership demographics
* Ability to excel both by working independently and as part of a collaborative team.
* Strong technical and persuasive writing skills
* Computer proficiency (i.e., Microsoft Office suite, database management, internet-based research, professional applications of social media)
* Knowledge and/or professional experience in golf course management is essential
* Pre-existing professional connections in the golf industry is highly desirable
* Familiarity with wildlife and ecosystem science (particularly of North America)
This is a full-time, permanent position. Audubon International offers a mission-driven work environment that promotes continued employee growth and development. Our non-profit organization offers its employees a competitive compensation package, including salary, individual health benefits, retirement benefits, and vacation.
Deadline for Application: Open until filled.
How to Apply:
Submitted applications will be reviewed upon receipt and must include the following:
* Cover letter summarizing the candidate's qualifications for the position, including a description of how prior educational training, experience and skills prepare the candidate to fulfill the job responsibilities detailed above
* Curriculum vitae or resume
* Contact information (name, job title, phone and email) for 3-5 professional references
* Writing sample (5 pages maximum) which demonstrates analytical reasoning skills and ability to communicate technical concepts or analysis to a non-technical audience
* Application materials should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com with the job title and your name in the subject line (i.e., Associate Director of Environmental Programs - Jane Smith)
|environment , job , superintendent , turf|