Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would be looking for one that's stock, Why buy something that someone has allready kicked the piss out of?? When i bought my Cummins i looked for a while till i found a stock one in good shape with zero mods, and zero plow.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i ended up buying it yesterday. I bought the truck new in 01 keep it till 06 when i put about 5500 in repairs. Some of the repair were due to me being young, but the truck also worked since day one. Like someone stated b4 any deisel is going to be hard in front ends. Atleast i know the things this one has not only been repaired but upgraded.The trans is done up for pulling, it has a billet converter, oversize trans cooler. Yes it has a chip and exhaust ,but it also has 400 worth of gauges to moniter everything. I know for a fact that the truck has never been run hot, trans temp never been over 210, egt never been over 1100. As far as wear i am less concerned with the chip than i am with the fact i had a lift and big tires on it for about 60k whiles towing 3 ztrs on a 3k trailer everyday. When i sold it to my dad he took all the lift and tires off and lowered it back down. Since then has put 30k more problem free miles on it. I trust this one more than anything i am going to buy off line. My other fear with buying off line is we have just had alot of flooding in new york and jersey. There are also probally alot of probmatic cars and trucks from Louisanna running around as well.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutbetterthanyou View Post
U R correct about the early 2000s late 90s is what i am looking at, but i wouldn't say that the 7.3s trannys are bulletproof mine when out with 80k on the truck and at the time the owner of the trans shop said "don't feel bad we do at least 2 a week and almost all of them have under 100k on them". Apparrently they have alot of parts built out of aluminum that shouldn't be. He said that once updated to steel parts along with a good converter they are one of the best trans ,but not from the factory. If dodge is worst maybe i should hold out for a duramax.
I have a 7.3 with 225k on 3rd auto and will need the 4th soon, so bullet proof. HA
Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
I have a 7.3 with 225k on 3rd auto and will need the 4th soon, so bullet proof. HA
R u putting stock ones back in? My trans guy said that once upgraded to better parts along with a good converter they are one of the best. he rebuilt mine for about 3k and a nice converter was about a grand,if i remiember correctly.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here"s a picture of her
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

When it comes down to all of it if you're looking for a work horse that won't leave your stranded and only want to spent roughly 10 k you want the 7.3. I'm sure some guy that's had 1 bad experience with that model with chime in and complain just like everyone does about every make and model. I've owned Chevy ford and dodge I don't like dodges IMO. I've owed ford for 6 years and prefer them Especially for plowing also said I'd never buy a Chevy too but I did this spring (6.5 motor) and haven't had any complaints always does wnhat I need it to do.dodge only had a good motor IMO granny's sucked. Every truck has its pros and cons ESPECIALLY if you bea the **** out it.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Name:  img.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  34.0 KB86k factory crate, 122k front seal leak burned trans up 171k rebuilt, 236 front seal leaking and slow shifting into over drive. True it is a 450 and runs around with 12k on it and then I pull trailers.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im going to build me a truck. 1955 F250, 4bt turbo Cummins, Allison auto, Dana 60 rear(single wheel) With a dump flat bed. I haven't decided on the front axle yet or 2wd or 4wd. Why? Because I can. I just think it would be neat.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

^^^^Sure you are...post some pics of this build...
Old 11-17-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01thump View Post
^^^^Sure you are...post some pics of this build...
Oh, I can. I'm a better redneck engineer then I am a grass cutter!
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.