Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-01-2016, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a commercial mower and use the TM for my walk mower, but I probably only mow about 10k of turf a week with it. Last year was my 1st year using it. The only breakdown I had was the blade engagement spring which was fixed under warranty. I actually zip tied it to the bracket until the replacement came in so no down time. I think it would make a good homeowner mower as it's user friendly and you'll really like the time savings over a 21". Realize it's limitations as you would any piece of equipment and you'll be Ok.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi, for a first mower for a new residential mowing business, would you guy recommend the Timemaster over the Honda HRX217 series?
Old 01-01-2016, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfulla View Post
Hi, for a first mower for a new residential mowing business, would you guy recommend the Timemaster over the Honda HRX217 series?
I would. But, I'm mechanically inclined and can accept not everything in this business or what we buy will be perfect. The TimeMaster saves so much time and the finish it leaves is fantastic. The downfalls are well documented. Hondas aren't perfect, either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Funny you should ask, I previously had the HRX but wanted to speed things up which the TM did. As long as the TM will fit where you need it I'd go with the TM. As mentioned realize it's limitations.

Like ducnut I'm consider myself mechanically inclined for what it's worth.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I'm not mowing for a business (so maybe you quite reading here...), but based on the massive time savings between a 30" and a 21", I don't know why anyone would consider the 21. I had an HRX217 for years for home use. It was a great mower, but when the transmission finally gave up (9.5 years) the cost to fix it was HUGE compared to putting a new transmission in a Toro product. Complexity on the Honda drive system is higher than the Toro as well. Honda makes a good mower, but as noted by other posters, everything has its own set of problems/issues. I have had a Timemaster now for 1.5 years and it has been great. The timesavings for my yard are incredible and I really have better things to be doing than spending all morning mowing!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you, I appreciate all the replies.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys, would a torn belt be under warrenty? One of the ones under the cover--I think to the blade?

It's still under warrenty...and i discovered that the bolts that hold the motor to the body were loose....having them look at that.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNC View Post
I'm not mowing for a business (so maybe you quite reading here...), but based on the massive time savings between a 30" and a 21", I don't know why anyone would consider the 21. I had an HRX217 for years for home use. It was a great mower, but when the transmission finally gave up (9.5 years) the cost to fix it was HUGE compared to putting a new transmission in a Toro product. Complexity on the Honda drive system is higher than the Toro as well. Honda makes a good mower, but as noted by other posters, everything has its own set of problems/issues. I have had a Timemaster now for 1.5 years and it has been great. The timesavings for my yard are incredible and I really have better things to be doing than spending all morning mowing!
My first honda commericial is 20 years old and practically no problems....that 30 unit has many failures years....that is why. and it is heavy as hell to get around
Old 01-08-2016, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if this is the case, but it looks like the 2016 Turfmasters will ship with the standard 2 bail system found on the Exmark 30 and not the single bar mechanism found on original models. This is a BIG plus, no idea how Toro thought the single bail was a good idea.

I saw a commercial for the new Turfmasters and noticed it in the video, hope this is the case - dealer doesn't have the 2016 models yet. So I can't confirm this change yet. Would be rediculous if they advertise it one way and sell it another. The single bail is a joke and awkward to operate, just a terrible design in my opinion.

Aside from that - I have three 30's (2 residential 1 commercial). I bought them all new less than 2 years ago. Last year I can not recall a single time all 3 were operational. Many breakdowns - most common issue's between all 3 of them. Considering dropping them all together because they are terribly unreliable. Cheap pulleys, bearing, and belts plague these mowers. Only engine issues with the briggs is the vibration knocking the bolts and muffler guard loose. Other than that all the issue's are on "Toro's" side of the mowers. The Kaw engine had issues as well. Stock air filter is garbage and actually damaged a component in the engine!

LOVE the mowers, HATE how unreliable they are. Thats my summary of the 30's.