Register free!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
gcbailey,,, your friend is on the same track as I'm going down only I have so many trees that I'd go with a manual push roller... I'd like to be able to keep some water in it though filling it up completely wouldn't be necessary... I think the sheepsfoot roller is a bit extreme and would likely take more than a couple freeze/thaw cycles to relieve compaction that think would cause...
Maybe modifying something like this? - http://www.brinly.com/PRC-24BH-lawn-roller.html
Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
... The OSU study was more about documenting PRG turf establishment under traffic than it was meant to be a planting method IMHO. That is some marching band they have...maybe they could go out and stomp holes for overseeding. Bands do a job on football fields I can tell you.
"One study at OSU this fall has looked at over-seeding a native soil perennial ryegrass turf under heavy traffic conditions. Surprisingly, the slit-seeded treatments have not performed anywhere near as well as the drop/broadcast seeded treatments (see picture left). The slicing action of the slit seeder, in conjunction with heavy traffic from the wear simulator may cause significant surface damage, compared to the less aggressive drop or broadcast method. "

Yes, this was about the excessive damage caused by slit-seeders in conjunction with heavy traffic,,, but it does point out a superior method of seeding, by: "The combination of drop seeding and subsequent traffic from the wear simulator resulted in uniform seed germination, possibly because the cleated rollers push the seed into the soil surface. ..."

I've never really like the slit-seeders anyways even though they made a better bed than an aerator, but here we have a better way for over-seeding large areas...

I'll have to find those pix for you,,, as they apply once more this time of year...
Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnsite wouldn't let me repost the same picture becuz it was already done on "Dormant Seeding: A Pictorial" which should be back on the main page again...
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will try to find that pic.

The study, from what I recall, concluded that cleated and broadcast only areas performed better than slit-seeded then cleated areas. I did not see that only cleating broadcast seeding was directly compared to only slit-seeding. Did you?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The above types of comparisons are difficult. Cleated, slit seed, power rake, broadcast, player spikes. To be accurate you have to count the new seedlings that come up. But how do you distinguish the new grass from the old grass that existed before overseeding?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
Maybe modifying something like this? - http://www.brinly.com/PRC-24BH-lawn-roller.html
I don't really have the capability of modifying a smooth barrel roller... I've thought of different things that might do the trick but way too much monkey-business for me to succeed at...
Old 10-31-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I will try to find that pic.

The study, from what I recall, concluded that cleated and broadcast only areas performed better than slit-seeded then cleated areas. I did not see that only cleating broadcast seeding was directly compared to only slit-seeding. Did you?
The comparison is interesting but not necessary... they claimed a more uniform germination,,, which is better than anything else out there... aeration certainly doesn't provide uniform germination,,, with its dollhair patchwork of new seedlings...

Riggle,,, it is possible to tell new seedlings from current turf if you catch it within the first week or 2 of germination... color and texture are different during that time... sometimes longer...