Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Spring Dead Spot Apps in bermuda

If you were applying for this what schedule would you recommend? Label says 1-2 apps before dormancy then 1 app after dormancy. My 1st frosts are usually early to mid November. How would you time this? What would be your weapon of choice? This is on Tif 328.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Theres several products that help but one of my customers told me I need to spray milk to fix it. Yes milk. not sure about 2% or skim.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

We watch the soil temp. When it hits 70 the SDS become active again so we aim for 75 degrees with our first treatment. Here is something to read up on http://turf.uark.edu/publications/factsheets/Bermudagrass%20Spring%20Dead%20Spot%20FSA-7551.pdf
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by ETM; 09-02-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting service offering. A few questions:

1) Do you offer this as part of your normal service or is it an upsell?

2) Do you spray the entire lawn, or only some parts?

3) What product do you use?
Old 09-04-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Interesting service offering. A few questions:

1) Do you offer this as part of your normal service or is it an upsell?

2) Do you spray the entire lawn, or only some parts?

3) What product do you use?
This is on a golf course. They are planning on using myclobutinol
Old 09-05-2014, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you consulting for this golf course? Have they ever sprayed to treat spring dead spot (SDS) before? What areas are they treating (tees, greens, fairways, clubhouse lawns, wall-to-wall)?

SDS is a very unpredictable disease and a very difficult one to control. Not many fungicides are effective in controlling it. Rubigan (fenarimol) gave the best control by far (still only about 70% control in the best years at the best timing with the best growing conditions), but it isnít being sold anymore. Other fungicides in the DMI class can be used, but they arenít as effective. Eagle (myclobutanil) will have only a little efficacy. More effective choices would be Torque (tebuconazole), Headway (propiconazole + azoxystrobin), or even a simple propiconazole product, like Banner MAXX.

Regardless of what you use, youíre going to need two applications, split about 4 weeks apart, made with a high carrier volume, and watered in afterward. After all this, you can expect at most 50-70% control in a bad SDS year. In a not-so-bad year, you wonít see much of a difference between areas you sprayed and areas you didnít spray.

I think itís extremely important, too, not to overlook the cultural side of this. No matter what you apply (even in the days of Rubigan), if you have a thin turf stand, even mildly excessive thatch, a stand that hasnít been aerated, soil that doesnít drain well (or a rainy winter), shaded areas, or soil pH>5.5, youíre still going to get SDS. In my opinion, all the cultural practices need to be done before fungicides can even be thought of.

I hope that helped a little bit?
Old 09-05-2014, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is on greens only. They have someone else consulting on apps, I'll just throw in 2 cents here and there. Cultural practices important yes but I have no control over that. Looks like 1st app needs to be done when soil temps approach 70.