Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry Ted et all. I've just been in a mood lately. I still think calibrating a back pack sprayer is a waste of time for many reasons but am all for proper calibration of other production equipment and techniques.

I also think flat fan nozzles on a hand sprayer is asking for off target spray or at the very least ON Applicators shoes and pants.

I use the brass adjustable cone on my ride ons and backpacks.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Sorry Ted et all. I've just been in a mood lately. I still think calibrating a back pack sprayer is a waste of time for many reasons but am all for proper calibration of other production equipment and techniques.

I also think flat fan nozzles on a hand sprayer is asking for off target spray or at the very least ON Applicators shoes and pants.

I use the brass adjustable cone on my ride ons and backpacks.
Now I understand why you don't calibrate your backpack. In my book, there would be no point unless you did your very best to keep it set in one position. Don't get me wrong, I still don't agree with the use of cone nozzles for the reasons I pointed out but if it works for you, great.
Case in point:
When we got our first Z spray, it came with the T-jet gun and adjustable nozzle. I didn't like the idea when I first saw it but I thought "what the hell, we'll see what happens." I mean, they've sold thousands of them that way, right? We didn't use the machine a week and started getting calls of burned spots in the lawns. It is human nature to be lazy whenever possible. What's easier, riding up to a weed and spraying with a finer mist covering the weed well or shooting it with a straighter stream from 15 ft away and going on to the next weed? I can't really blame my guys but I was pissed. Remember, I do the service calls. I'm the one who gets the calls from upset customers, not them. I put a wand on it with a fan tip and abra cadabra, no more shooting weeds from 15 ft away and no more burned spots or upset customers. Problem solved. Our 2nd Z spray had a T-jet wand waiting on it here when it arrived. End of story.

Like I said before, I have no problem with you in general. Larry on the other hand, tends to be condescending to most people unless they kiss his arse. He's a legend in his own mind. I don't play that game. I'm no fool, and I refuse to be treated like one.