Register free!

Old 07-29-2015, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Field Test New Product Opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wolfarth View Post
Hey guys,
We are in the final stages of a new product development project and are at a point where we want to get some more contractor feedback. We will give you product, ask that you install it within a short time frame, and give us your feedback. That's it.

Here is your chance to influence the product that Rain Bird releases to the market. This is a very critical stage in the development process where we find issues and improvements that can make or break a product. You guys will be great at this!
Thank you. We have enough volunteers for this. I appreciate your willingness to help us out. I am sure we will release a better product as a result of your feedback. We will be in touch with the volunteers.
Thanks again.
(520) 741-6539
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kiril,
First of all, I am sorry to have taken so long to respond. Travel schedules and my schedule have kept me from promptly responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I have some questions/requests regarding the SMTe.
What is the point in restricting the interval option to 14 days? Why cap the interval at all?
At the time ESP-SMT was designed, the longest interval required under watering restrictions was the 14 day interval in Texas. The thinking was that watering restrictions were the biggest reason to have a long interval between irrigation. Also, it was felt that an irrigation interval longer than 14 days negates many of the benefits of a weather-based controller.

Certainly, there are some horticultural reasons to have one longer than this. Some trees might do better with a longer interval. I am certain you have some examples you can share with this group.

If a longer interval is needed on a zone, it can be accomplished by changing that station to be controlled as a time-based station. When time-based, the interval can be set up to 30 days long using the 'daily water window' as opposed to the 'restricted water window' when in weather based mode. Setting a zone to obey the 'daily water window' will cause it to irrigate that zone every 'X' days, regardless of the allowed water days set in the 'restricted water window'.

Quote:
The advanced features of the controller need to be exactly that .... advanced.
Add an option to manually enter values for all data. Let the water manager be the one to determine if he/she wants to use the generic values or not.
You might want to talk to the Product Manager to help us understand your comment. Most (maybe all) of the default values that come to mind can be changed by the user. The defaults are there to make it easier to get up and running. Fine tuning can happen whenever the user would like. PM me your contact info and I will have the Product Manager contact you to get a better understanding of your concern.

Quote:
Add something to the door to retain the manual/paperwork, and not a hook. Something like an L-bracket long enough and high enough to keep the paperwork from falling out every time you open the door. The user manual belongs with the controller, especially with more complex controllers like the SMT. This is a problem with many controllers, not just Rainbird and it chaps my ass, as I am sure it does other irrigators, when stuff comes spilling out when opening the controller.
We agree. You have a great point. We will consider your suggestion as we have the opportunity to make changes.

Again, the Product Manager has expressed an interest in getting more input from you on your ESP-SMTe experience in general and would enjoy talking to you. I bet you can help us to better understand how the product actually gets used in the field and, therefore, give us some great improvement ideas. PM your contact info if you would like to have that conversation.
(520) 741-6539

Tags
rain bird , rainbird