Register free!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppendergrast View Post
Done properly, wire should be installed with a "drop" blade. It has an opening in the back called a "gate". The wire is fed through through this gate area. The concept is that the wire is installed in the slit and never moves to maintain it's integrity.

That being said, we have all "pulled" wire along with some pipe from time to time.
Yes that's correct and you should know better than to pull pipe with a bolt drilled through it.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

tell me more about this blade, that lays the wire while pulling pipe, as I have always looped the chain with the wire and pulled, but I have a double bullet pull with one on the blade, and the trailer bullet/grip I posted earlier. longer pulls, wire is def an issue.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I have one type of blade called a combo blade. It has a chain hookup for a bullet below a wire chute to drop the wire. I don't use it because the wire comes out on top of the pipe. Used it in the late 80's for a couple of jobs and saw the flaw.....

Its a 3/4" blade (many blades are 1/2") so it'll drop about 10-12 14ga wires at once. We typically try and avoid dropping or plowing any multi-strand due to it's brittle nature. Our mainline is trenched (wire in the trench) and the laterals are plowed. This still gives us an advantage to minimize the turf damage in 75% of the yard (in certain settings).
Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm more less new to pulling but have seen it a little years ago. I'm jumping in after years of trenching but still have ?'s about the blade & bullet setup. Some bullets are on the front of the blade and some on the chain behind the blade, correct? Which do you prefer? Does anyone mind posting pics?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My ancient Pipe Piper used a blade with a replaceable bullet point, said bullet point having a flat ground on the top to provide some downward thrust while in motion, which was all the more necessary on account of the leading edge of the plow blade being angled differently from the usual slant that pulls the blade downward.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I might as well dump these here

This is the plow swing hydraulic hose. Its not under pressure but it bothers me its leaking all over the chain on the right side. Talked to our mechanic friend at work and he said the hydraulic filter and battery need to come off to get at this hose/fitting...From what I can see its just loose. Seeping only as its not under pressure.. But it still needs to get fixed.

I also showed the mechanic this pic and he said he has seen this problem many times on the 255 DW. I was wondering if you all would like to take a stab at the issue before I post his supposition.

I'm learning from the schematic and poking around how everything works..
Not to tricky if you know what you are looking at... As suggested by a few friends I need to get a powerwasher clean it all down grease it up and then look at it..

She rides clean even keel from the truck to the trailer.. Balanced load.. Fits on the trailer just fine..No crazy noises when I took her around the bock. I still need to build up my trust with this trailer. Hopefully I can get a few bucks in the bank and get a new one that suits my truck and needs better.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT Stream Rotar View Post
I also showed the mechanic this pic and he said he has seen this problem many times on the 255 DW. I was wondering if you all would like to take a stab at the issue before I post his supposition.

Given the angle of that connector allows for water to collect inside of it, I would bet on electrical short. Some silicon grease in the right places might help to prevent water from moving into the connector.