Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-25-2015, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The Stihl glasses are holding up well. $15 a pair. One pair is darker tinted with smaller plastic lined oval frames which fit snug enough to keep any debris from sliding up under.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2015, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
So are any of these scratch proof or scratch resistant? If you drop them and the land on a rock or pavement will they all scratch?
My Stihls fell on the pavement and it created a patch of dot scratches directly in the middle. No sweat I can be more careful and get the most out of these $15 shades!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2015, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

love my wallmart "flying fishermans" they are polarized and $10. I have had this set for about 6 months and still have life in them only wear is the arms are starting to loosen a bit
Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Stanley safety glasses with yellow lens. Do a good job with glare in bright light yet protect well and highlight shadows in low light situations.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Spy Optics, "Haymaker". They come in a lot of colors and graphics, but I have the black ones:

The lens is inset enough to not scratch when you drop 'em on concrete. I've dropped them a hundred times and the lens is immaculate. You can just barely see tiny hints on the frame where it's been dropped, and I'm very rough with them. They've been kicked across floors and travelled in saddlebags, loose, without a case without incident.

They're made in Italy, but I think they were less than $60 bucks from the internet. Maybe I got an older model or something, but best money in sunglasses I've ever spent.

They're kind of huge, so you look like an old man with those gigantic polycarbonate goggles over their bifocals, but a lot less than you'd think, because of its elements of style and design. This large coverage gives the most protection, both from wind and airborne particulates, while maintaining the perfect airflow to never fog up. Never fogs. I sweat like a slug leaving slime on a log, but they never fog.

I think maybe because they have those little nose bumpers, on metal arms that rest on your nose. Like you see in prescription glasses. You never see this little nose pads on plastic wrap-around glasses, usually they're integrated nubs. The metal arms usually get all distorted and bent out of shape from sitting on 'em or tossing them about, in my experience. Not these. They've never moved. The little metal arms are mounted on an integrated metal plate, that's nearly hidden. Maybe it's glued to the plastic somehow, with hidden clips, but it's solid.

The lenses have held up to being hit while using the trimmer. Rocks and bugs at 65mph from many miles of riding a motorcycle on those days where my helmet was unavailable. "Safety" glasses are rated for their impact resistance, but they've never been built tough enough to ever last me very long. Whatever Spy Optics used to build the lens and frame in these is some tough stuff. I'm not scared. They've far outlasted any other option, and I've tried a lot of differerent ones.

I've had these for 8 years, and they look like they could be a couple months old. They seem like they'll last another 8 or more, as long as I don't lose 'em.

https://youtu.be/FLATHVYvDWM
Old 08-03-2015, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Has anybody tried these?

These look really cool, but I've always had issues with straps like that falling down with sweat and resting on my ears, digging in and trying to slice them off. "Goggles" with elastic headbands are great with helmets, where you put the elastic band over the helmet, like Moto-X, snowboarding, etc. That way the elastic doesn't try to slice off your ears.

They look really cool on this guy:

They also make them in clear. Sometimes I wonder if I should get proper impact resistant safety eye protection, instead of using my "regular" sunglasses (above), so I'm considering these alienesque, bug-eyed, safety goggles. I need to make an elastic-band-holder-upper along the brim of my hat, to keep the tops of my ears from getting rubbed raw though.