Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

93 was awesome. we had 24" of snow. the best snow we've ever had. i wish it did that every year. usually it's just cold and no snow. cold without snow is worthless. nothing to do. at least you can go out and play in the snow.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I've been out and cut a few. Half of my customers want me to cut get every week already and the other half get all freaky when I do cut. Seriously folks, if I drive 14 miles to get to your house, somebody is paying for a grass cut. I was at your house last week and you said you'd see me this week. Did you think I just wanted to come and hang out? Oh you're still asleep at 7:00 AM. Let me play the song of my people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jrLc7RupCU
Yea I have done a few jobs. I usually don't call ahead of time. I start the route March 10th because it is normally in the 70s/40s range by then. But this March has been in the 40s/50s days/20s and low 30s. So I feel obligated to call first. Of course when you call the non picky, tightwad customers, say no What do you have after you cut the weeds and leaves the first time? Not much if it is warm season grass that has been covered with a blanket of frost every morning. With this type weather, I don't think I would drive 14 miles without calling first even if they said they would see you next week. Not many are use to this type weather in March in the Southeast. So people keep expecting the cold weather to end and it doesn't. You show up and there is still nothing much to cut. Now I do see Fescue yards growing pretty good.
Oh well, nothing we can do about it except vent on here. Beats attacking the weather guessers on TV
Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spent winter from Nov 7th thru March 17 in Phoenix as a groundskeeper at a high dollar private golf course and doing some side lawn work. (Should have stayed and done residentials) Came back to reality in Omaha looks like a person could do cleanups and mow off shaggy lawns as of today March 28. I just don't want a drought this year so maybe starting April 1st will be OK
Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think spring has sprung!

I plowed 5in of snow last week. With the forecast and the "looks" of things, I'll be cutting grass this time next week. Great, a two week window to get a couple months of misc work done. In other words, everyone will be calling at one time to get the pruning and mulch jobs done. I just talked with a guy yesterday that is giving up the business. He has a restoration shop and makes better money at it. He said he'll refer at least 4, all in one area that I'm in almost daily. I hate to say it, but I'm going to get over whelmed with work.

I'm still trying to get my new truck sorted out. I want to put a dump kit on it but after my other truck getting totaled and all the expenses I've incurred from it, I just can't afford to do much of anything but start digging. I do know when I'm done with the insurance company, I'll have the funds to pay off the truck and get a dump kit. I was within feet of losing my life. I got taken out from the side. The old man fell asleep, I was sitting still in a left turn lane NEXT to a 55mph lane. He side swiped the truck at 60+mph and shoved it 5ft to the left! Never even went forward. Had he drifted just a foot or two, I'd probably either be finished in this life or paralyzed for the rest of it. Once he pushed me out of the way, the 3 other cars in front of me got stacked up about 100ft or more away! It took his Lincoln Town Car and flattened the front all the way back to the firewall. Now rewind and think about how hard a hit I would have taken had he drifted to the left 2-3 more feet! I can't turn at that road anymore and it's a weekly part of my route. I'm going to lay it on the insurance company. In all this, somehow, 5 different vehicles were totaled and not one person was injured!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hope soon. Bought 2 new mowers and just picked up a ride on fert spreader
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 AM

I started full schedule yesterday Some of them look like they could have been done a week or so ago. You would think they would have let me know
Old 03-30-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Hmmm.... Your forecast differs... unless highs in the 40's and low's in the 30's with snow showers is what Spring looks like in Canton.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...+USOH0156:1:US
I told yall, the sun changes everything in this neck of the woods. Our forecast turned around and im pretty sure for good We may see a few flurries and rain showers here and there. But the sun feels like the summer sun. Thats the difference between our weather in Ohio and further south. I was asked if highs in 40's and lows in 30's was spring here....yep, and occasionally 1 or 2 of those 40's turn to 60 untill it moderates at 50's hahahahahahaa....see i know alittle what im talking about
Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hasn't fully kicked in yet. I can't remember brown lawns in April around here, but there will be plenty. I have a few that haven't had it done this year. In my frame of mind, i'm thinking about dropping those clowns. They're going to try to get away with 6 months of service.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Estimated start date here in Cincy is April 15. Could be a few days earlier, though.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds