Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2014, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Until about 6 or 7 years ago all any dealer around here had was 2.6, 6.4 and 12.8 oz containers of mix, because most containers were 1, 2.5 and 5 gallons. This was back in the day when you could buy a 48 case of 6.4 oz containers for about $42 bucks. Then the case shrunk to 24 and bottle shrunk to 5.2 oz. Still about the same price, maybe a few bucks more for the case. Now this pissed me off to no end because I had no 2 gallon containers and don't think I had ever seen one. I now had to either 80% fill those 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon containers or just buy the 12.8, which they never seemed to have a case of.

The price of oil increased. I get that. What used to be about 90 cents a bottle is now $2 or more. But this marketing. Shrink the bottle, shrink the case and charge the same. Now you have an odd two-gallon size mix and they have to start making containers for them. I never bought them. Everything I have is still either 2.5 or 5 gallon. I welcome the 6.4 oz mix back to shelves. Good riddance to that oddball 5.2 mix.

You can blame the EPA all you want if it makes you feel better, but I can tell you it has more to do with a crap load of 2.5 gallon containers out there and people not paying attention and only putting in the 2 gallon container of mix in a full tank.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
? Where have you been buying 2 gallon mix? Pretty sure we only stock a 1 gal (2.6oz) and 2.5 gallon (6.4oz) bottle size. If you are upset about it, then just use 2 of the 1 gallon mix bottles per can in your 2 gallon cans.
I have seen options for 2 gallon with some OEMS. We were pretty much Tanaka only for a long time and they only offer the 1 and 2.5 so I thought that was the norm. But as we have gotten more into Shindaiwa I see Echo offers or offered 2 gallon...

If you want easy do the above with 1 gallon mix. If you actually want to save money buy it in gallon jugs and use a measuring cup....or save some of your 2 gallon bottles and refill them from the jug....
Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
or save some of your 2 gallon bottles and refill them from the jug....
How will they do this on an opaque bottle? We do not stock the 2 gallon oil mix so I do not know, but is the 2 gallon mix bottle work the same way as all your 2.6, 3.2 and 4oz oil bottles where the oil bottle is like an industry standard size of 4 oz but the filled content is different? I have many people that pick up the 4 oz lawnboy bottles we have and think they're going to use that in an Echo gallon of gas and I have to inform them that is for a 32:1 mix and they tell me "But I always use this little bottle to a gallon" at which point I have yet again to enlighten them as to the fact "it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it"
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dutch, Dutch, Dutch.
What's wrong with you? Are you trying to wean the OP of his desire to create another plastic bottle of trash every time he mixes his fuel?
Next thing you know you'll want him to stop buying all those plastic bottles of water and bring a water cooler with him!
Obviously, you aren't keeping up with modern society.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

<<According to Opti, 2 strokes of the pump puts out the proper amount of oil(1.8 oz) for a 100:1 mix.>>

My gallons have 128 ounces and 1.8 oz is about 71:1, not 100:1. The pump is still a good idea but dangerous for the mathematically challenged. My experience with some pumps is that they drip a drop of oil every time they are put away so you need to put something under the spout to prevent a puddle of oil. Here is another measuring option http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...=searchresults.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, Chuck, I didn't really do any math--Opti's site indicates that their 5.3 gallon of oil is mixed with 530 gallons of fuel-- that's pretty dang close to a 100:1 ratio, IMO. Their 1.06 gallon container is mixed with 110 gallons of fuel--again very close to 100:1. Your 71:1 ratio is indeed correct for the 1.8 oz of oil to 128 oz of fuel. Just my guess, Opti is probably allowing for oil left in the 1.8 oz plastic packets or the may be fudging a bit to allow for people who put more than the exact amount of 1, 2 or 2.5 gallons of fuel in their containers.

In defense of my suggestion, counting to 3, 6 or 7 doesn't require any mathematical ability--unless you can't add 1 to the previous number.

Yeah, I don't care for oil to drip from the spout either but I cured that by finding a small plastic cap that fits the spout snugly--grabbed a chunk of recoil rope put a loop in one end then melted the other with a torch, fusing it to the cap.

As I indicated, it may not work for everyone but it has been the most effective method for me and I save a few bucks on buying gallons.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

You spill more gas with the new style gas cans then you ever did with the old. The new style are junk. The little green sleeve on the new ones always stick. And don't get me started on the o rings.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwittbecker View Post
You spill more gas with the new style gas cans then you ever did with the old. The new style are junk. The little green sleeve on the new ones always stick. And don't get me started on the o rings.
Then get the right kind of can......nospill cans are great....pour out fast(5 gal can 3 minutes tops) and C.A.R.B. compliant.

i
Old 03-29-2014, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwittbecker View Post
No I'm blaming the EPA any time any changes are mad to fuel or oil EPA has a hand in it one way or another. They are no longer making 2 gallon mix. It's not that my dealer is no longer going to have 2 gallon mix. Seems odd that they would just quit making it if the EPA wasn't forcing it.
Is this a real problem you are experiencing?

I haven't used those little bottles in many years...
It's a whole lot cheaper to buy the mix by the quart or the gallon.
Then I use a pump to squirt it into the can.

All my oil gets pumped in to the can(s) this way, one stroke of the pump delivers enough oil for 1/2 gallon of fuel.
So it really doesn't matter, 2 gallons means 4 pumps, 2.5 means 5, who cares...

Besides, they sell gasoline cans in 2 gallon, 2.25 gallon, and 2.5 gallon sizes as well.

Unless you wish to keep blaming some big bad unknown entity for your problems, therein lies the choice.

Last edited by herler; 03-29-2014 at 05:01 PM.