Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
If they are not level the cut will look worse with a reel mower...the wheels are so small it will find every hole.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was hoping the rollers and running a little higher @ 2 or 2.5 would help.

Thanks for the feed back. Not enough level lawns to make this worth wild.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been considering a reel mower for my personal lawn. I have bermuda currently cut about 2.5" with a Walker. I found what I think might be a good deal on a 27" trucut, but I wanted to know how do I tell if the bedknife and reel are in good shape? Also, someone mentioned getting a bar in front instead of casters. Is this to help prevent scalping?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc View Post
I have been considering a reel mower for my personal lawn. I have bermuda currently cut about 2.5" with a Walker. I found what I think might be a good deal on a 27" trucut, but I wanted to know how do I tell if the bedknife and reel are in good shape? Also, someone mentioned getting a bar in front instead of casters. Is this to help prevent scalping?
I have a client with a Tru Cut and he has the roller bar. He says it helps with scalping. I forgot how low he is trying to go. He still scalps a little. We have leveled the lawn but there are still some slopes on the side yard.

PS to other, I have talked to a Walker Rep. He does not claim it will mow as well as a reel mower but claims it is the next best thing. I do not think I would cut to 1 Inch with it. Likely closer to 2 on most lawns.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I have a client with a Tru Cut and he has the roller bar. He says it helps with scalping. I forgot how low he is trying to go. He still scalps a little. We have leveled the lawn but there are still some slopes on the side yard.

PS to other, I have talked to a Walker Rep. He does not claim it will mow as well as a reel mower but claims it is the next best thing. I do not think I would cut to 1 Inch with it. Likely closer to 2 on most lawns.
AzGardener on here says he cuts his bermuda lawns with walkers, but i think only goes as low as 1.25". Your not gonna get the precision of cut that a reel will give. I still don't get why someone would buy a 12-K+ machine vs. a 2-Kish machine to maintain sports turf.....especially when the reel gives the better look and can cut lower. If you are maintaining at 1.5" or lower on certain cultivars of bermuda and zoysia that grow fast, it really needs to be cut 2x/week. I have an empire yard that I am cutting at 1.5" and it really needs to be cut 2x/week. It still looks great when I am done, but it is a lot of clippings.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
AzGardener on here says he cuts his bermuda lawns with walkers, but i think only goes as low as 1.25". Your not gonna get the precision of cut that a reel will give. I still don't get why someone would buy a 12-K+ machine vs. a 2-Kish machine to maintain sports turf.....especially when the reel gives the better look and can cut lower. If you are maintaining at 1.5" or lower on certain cultivars of bermuda and zoysia that grow fast, it really needs to be cut 2x/week. I have an empire yard that I am cutting at 1.5" and it really needs to be cut 2x/week. It still looks great when I am done, but it is a lot of clippings.
I understand the dynamics of a low cut, cut frequency and growth rate.

One consideration is interchangable decks @ 36 plus. Two is lower mainteniance cost of rotory vs reel. Three is it is not a 12K machine is closer to 8.
four is the lower MH cost with the bigger cut.

I am still looking not buying.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the lower maintenance of a rotary...no arguing that at all.

Walker dealer here told me a Walker cut as nice as a reel...I laughed. Have a friend in the business with one...he too said it cut as well as a reel...I laughed an told him to come by my house and see if his Walker would even be able to go low enough to slice the seed heads on my lawn. I think my Toro goes down to .75-1"...it would not have the power to cut Bermuda that low since its so dense. As the height of Bermuda increases its density decrease making rotary a good choice (but I'm telling you something that ypu already know)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

If you use a growth regulator along with the fertilization program, this will allow you to mow once a week. Yes, it is better to mow two or three times a week during the growing season but good luck on //getting a customer to have that done and pay for it. Some good tips when using a reel mower: First, make sure you purchase a Tru Cut or a Locke. I would stay away from the Trimmer brand. Second, learn how to back lap and always always keep the bed knife sharp. Third, take your time and don't try to go to fast when cutting. Fourth, to get those stripes that everyone wants/likes, you have to mow in the same direction every time. Yes, i know that it is more healthy for the grass to mow in a different direction each time. However, you are not mowing every day like they do on a golf course and or sports field. Hope all this helps.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The main obstacle that prevents bermuda lawns from being cut with a reel is they are so uneven. It took 3 years of topdressing before I could have a level yard to use a reel on
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member