Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2010, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Other than Lesco, there is another distributor in the Northeast that can set up programs and give advice. Valley Green, Inc., Wilmington, MA
978-694-9011. Always good to see who says what and match prices.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf September 2010 2 Valley News.pdf (167.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
What zone is this generic regimen geared to?
It's geared for Southeastern Massachusetts and Cape Cod. It can be modified for different areas depending upon your "growing days" at the beginning of the season.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesLawnCareLLC View Post
I agree with that you address the issue with grubs in your area however you dont address broadleafe contol. i only address grubs curatively or unless i know there is a past history or grubs i|d much rather have the boardleaf under control... just use proper scouting techniques and you'll be able to catch the onset on grubs without a blanket application saving you a ton of money
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, the program that I listed doesn't contain a Broadleaf Weed control in one of the steps. However, that doesn't mean that you can't spray weeds during your visits. That's what we recommend to our customers if they don't have the necessary spray equipment to "blanket spray" the lawns. If they do, many will opt to mix a "cocktail" of products such as liquid fertilizer, herbicide, and pre-emergent control, and then blanket apply the entire mix to the lawn. For the "homeowner" customers, we highly recommend that they keep a 1 gallon handcan mixed up to spray weeds as they emerge. The goal with this program is to keep the crabgrass and grubs out of the lawn in the first place, reducing the need to re-seed every fall because of the damage that's accumulated because of those pests.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try and get the 5 step but at least get the 3 step. LOL Its all what you can sale to your clients.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlandscape View Post
I am just trying to gain as much background knowledge as i can before i go to the LESCO distributors because I am a strong believer in the fact that all salesman are salesman and do not really want to put you ahead, just themselves. I trust the LESCO salesman to give me a good system, but at what cost, and is it the BEST system.
I work your area.

Call Bill Dixon he is the outside salesman for JDL Haverhill, MA, he was an applicator for a long time, before running the branch as manager. He is a great guy and can give you all the advice you would need to get started.

Price is based on your level, they dont get commisions like car salesmen do. He is also the guy who would be seting your price, keep in mind you wont be getting great prices starting out. (978) 372-1014

Advice Read the threads here. Get license

Liquid weed control for you speedzone southern gets most broadleaf weeds, acclaim will get the crabgrass after it comes out. The early applications of dimension goes down before crabgrass comes out. One thing most newbies dont realize, when you are pushing the spreader, at the end of your pass when you are turning around to come back across the lawn you want to spread back to your tire track, most new people or homeowners throw back to where the prills were hitting, this causes stripes. Always hit back to your tire track.

Good luck
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 10-08-2010, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesLawnCareLLC View Post
I agree with that you address the issue with grubs in your area however you dont address broadleafe contol. i only address grubs curatively or unless i know there is a past history or grubs i|d much rather have the boardleaf under control... just use proper scouting techniques and you'll be able to catch the onset on grubs without a blanket application saving you a ton of money
Posted via Mobile Device
exp allows for the proper scouting tech, no offense to this guy when I say this, but someone who doesnt know what to put down for crabgrass control probably doesnt have the skillset yet to scout for anything...
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Green View Post
Other than Lesco, there is another distributor in the Northeast that can set up programs and give advice. Valley Green, Inc., Wilmington, MA
978-694-9011. Always good to see who says what and match prices.
I must say I called you guys in July or Aug and PLS crushed you on the price, plus free del..
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up Essex MA

I couldn't agree more! There are so many people out there that just think they can start there landscape business with little to no experience. I work in the same area and I know and have seen these companies
work.
Just because you go out and by a brand new truck and trailer and put your name on them doesn't make you legit.
I have over 18 years lawn and landscape experience and have held a mass pesticide license for over 11 years. I
worked and managed some of the top companies in the northeast. I started my business after I worked for these top companies for about 12 years.

So sad I see it all the time. These people have no pesticide license, no landscape certifications what so ever and they under bid all the time.
Just pathetic!
Good thing is I eventually I end up getting a call from their customers.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You do know this post is over three years old.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
exp allows for the proper scouting tech, no offense to this guy when I say this, but someone who doesnt know what to put down for crabgrass control probably doesnt have the skillset yet to scout for anything...
Just an FYI I have a degree in this and have been in business for 15 years so I do know what I'm talking about. But thanks for your comments.
21" Exmark S-Series
77"X14' Trailer
Turfco Aerator
Stihl Trimmers
Stihl Blowers
Stihl Chainsaws

Horticulture-Turfgrass Management Major-Iowa State University