Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

owner

going from 22in personal pace mowers to walk behind. Is there any wbs that are more compact/smaller than the average 77in lengths I'm seeing. And if not, how do they handle on residential lawns/ tight areas? I've been looking at the new scag swvt36 and its hard to envision it working on " normal " sized lawns but I need to speed up productivity and all my existing customers and new customers specifically want my services because I'm walking. If I go to 32in walk behind I'd be out of hydro market and into belts. Keep reading to get hydro if I can afford it. But are belts really bad news for small but a growing business. I need to mention i'm learning as I go as far as mechanical issues/ repair being done by me.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

owner

Toro turf master 30
Old 03-09-2014, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris 32" hydrocut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whatever you do....make sure it's hydro. Reverse is your friend.

What about a 48'' Exmark Turf Tracer? I'd say that would be perfect for you.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-09-2014, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

there's nothing wrong with a belt drive.

It doesn't have reverse? neither does the personal pace you use right now.
Problem solved you already know what to do…muscle it in reverse.

I dont understand what you're saying? The 36" is too big, for 'normal' lawns?

IF you can reasonable afford a 36" swzt, get it… I would.

what is your problem/issue with the length of mowers? (77 in) are you trying to fit it in really tight storage?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRLAWN View Post
….. all my existing customers and new customers specifically want my services because I'm walking. :

this is interesting to me, because it supports something Ive been saying.

The people who think you can just shove a ZTR on any small lawn and it's fine, are contradicted by this…

could you elaborate a little more on your customers request/interest in your walking?

What is it that they actually say?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 36" exmark metro belt drive. Works good, cuts good. bought for 1500 on cl with 200 hours. I have been wanting a hydro because it will make things faster and more comfortable, but have to justify the need first. Other than this I have very limited experience and can not offer any more insight. but good luck
Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

customers specifically say they do not what the heavy ztrs on their lawns. most have had them and their lawns are rutted or bald where wheels have been. Also, some crews that use them are generally doing so many lawns a day they are speeding right through the lawns and tearing things up and cutting in the same patterns. I change my directions at least 2xs a month and on some lawns every time- I'm not restricted with the push like the riders are. Which was the reason for the concern about the 77in length on the wbs. I'm not knocking the riders, I get why they have to move so quick and that they are limited to direction/pattern on some lawns but the customers can actually see the difference from one lawn to the other and then make the switch.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
customers specifically say they do not what the heavy ztrs on their lawns. most have had them and their lawns are rutted or bald where wheels have been. Also, some crews that use them are generally doing so many lawns a day they are speeding right through the lawns and tearing things up and cutting in the same patterns. I change my directions at least 2xs a month and on some lawns every time- I'm not restricted with the push like the riders are. Which was the reason for the concern about the 77in length on the wbs. I'm not knocking the riders, I get why they have to move so quick and that they are limited to direction/pattern on some lawns but the customers can actually see the difference from one lawn to the other and then make the switch.
If I were you, I would get a Worldlawn 36 inch belt drive. It is 2500 new with a 2 year commercial/residential warranty. It is 73 inches long and is great for its price. Here is a link http://www.worldlawn.com/walk-behinds/wy3616kw/
Old 03-12-2014, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Im going to play devils advocate here (not saying I disagree with your customers POV)

10000 sq ft property,
52 inch rider, mow trim blow 15 minutes… plus travel,load.unload etc.
Maybe 30 bucks,

same property with a 21?

mow trim blow, 30 minutes, plus travel, load, unload etc…. 45 minutes of time.
rider dude is halfway done with his second lawn.

customer wants all this wonderful attention to detail and light treading for the same price as superfly hyper drive rider.

Why does the rider create bald spots and tear?
Because the customer is too cheap to aerate, an fertilize properly.. they love all those damn trees that turn their lawn in a moss fest and won't pay to get those thinned out either.

If the customer paid for a proper, professional full service lawn care program, I could take a BOBCAT loader across their lawn and they wouldn't know it happened 20 minutes later.

So there is two sides to this coin… it's not really the rider that's the problem it's the cheap A$$ uneducated, opinionated customer.

However…. the flames flying off your t shirt from reentry friction speed mowing doesn't give the appearance of a good job, with any kind of care for the property either…. then they go out and see the effects of their property neglect and blame it on the machine.

so it's a double edged sword.

Trust me when I say this tho…there are lawns that I can walk on with my logging boots and tear up the turf. It's an Unhealthy lawn…

Im 6'5" and 265 lbs…. I will make MORE of a rut with my boots than a turf tiger will , because even tho it weighs more…. my feet exert more PSI than the weight of the turf tiger spread across those big ole tires.

Think about it this way, what hurts more, me stepping on your foot with my boot?
OR the turf tiger rolling over your foot with it's tire?

there should be a balance in all things… but a certain amount of that can be mitigated by customers not having champagne tastes and a beer budget.