Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2014, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have noticed a small trend of certain first-half-of-the-week yards getting mowed on a desirable near-the-weekend day... Which, them being bi-weekly cuts would then put them on a Friday or Saturday, except for one problem.

All days are scheduled with how many yards, I have good reason to schedule those who get mowed near the weekend and I have as good or better reason to schedule everyone else their way...

Either way it doesn't matter because I can't mow 400 lawns in one day.

So, when I show up on a Monday to find out that yard got mowed by someone else Saturday?
It's going on the schedule, two weeks and two days from now, which is right back to the same Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
Yeah, 12 lawns may buy him another 21, but it takes him at least 10 hours plus travel to do them. He can also pay out of his pocket when his mower throws a rock through someone's car window. I can do at least twice as many in the same time frame with my $2000 used 36 inch walk behind and I don't leave clippings on the neighbor's driveway and in the street when I'm done. If people want to save five bucks and get a crappy result, they're welcome to do that.
Most people don't give two wooden nickels about any of that, and you're missing the point.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
I just lost a client via and e-mail that said the day I sprayed the pre emgergent it was windy. I used granular.......................... ugh..... Sometimes things are fun. It took all the will power in my body to not write a really rude e-mail in response. We will see what happens.
It is nearly impossible to hurt anything with pre, unless you are spreading on newly seeded ground. Its probably best that this customer hit the road.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-07-2014, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Bit of good news for a change, just landed 15 housing estates last week (grass hadn't been cut in 9 months!) We got silage contractor to cut and bale it, even better he is going to pay us €5.00 per bale:-). The client is so happy they asked us to quote for five more estates :-D
Old 05-09-2014, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
Psh...I am a Ford Guy

But I do respect a kid trying to go out there and make a living, but at least he could have done a half way decent job in the process. I mean, he was atrocious. And taking a man's clients...
People out trying to make a buck are going to go to the easiest route which is mowing.Now you would never see him if it was to redo a septic system needing a backhoe.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess that's business, just when you think it's okay some new operation starts up and is chasing everyone's business. Any time I get a new contract I call into all the businesses nearby and offer a no obligation quote. Nothing is forever, you have to be proactive and chase new work all the time. Take it as good luck and move on. It wasn't that long ago we were all the new kid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

People who only want you to cut when they call are cheap anyhow. I have a couple like this also. Kid probably thinks he can take on the world with his ZTR. He doesn't know business. When he works his a$$ off and only grosses $10,000, and realizes he spent one third of that on gas etc. He will either quit or change real fast.
Posted via Mobile Device