Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't have "cash" on hand you cant but the good deals that come along.

I could buy a fleet of box trucks with mowers for the price of some of the trucks people are using.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
If you don't have "cash" on hand you cant but the good deals that come along.

I could buy a fleet of box trucks with mowers for the price of some of the trucks people are using.
Hell yeah, I bought a truck last year... had no use for it but could not resist the deal. It was an 06 Isuzu npr crew cab(newer body style) with flat bed with diesel and 80k miles, sold the flat bed for $500, bought a box for $800, installed myself, painted box myself, built dovetail myself(in the winter) for $1000 labor and materials... and I was offered 25k for it a couple days ago. Turned it down, b/c I might need to start another crew in the next month or two.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
Most of what I make goes to keep my household expenses. 3 kids wife that's disabled and can't work. I make good money but it just never able to save anything. I can only work so hard.
Maybe before you try to grow in size and equiptment. Try to raise your prices so you can cover your household bills etc and still be able to put back savings. Once you have a decent bank for yourself you will have some cushion and you can decide from there if you can take the risk to grow from there.
1997 Ford F250
2010 John Deere 315 skidloader
44inch Toro Z-master
44inch Toro walk-behind
36inch Toro walk-behind
48inch Exmark Metro walk-behind
Stilh and husqavarna power equiptment
haulin 16 ft enclosed trailer for mowers
haulin 18 ft enclosed trailer for landscaping
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I invested in advertising a lil more every year. this year we really took off so I took the extra money I was making and started a new crew to handle the extra work load, I guess if I've learned nothing else on here it's "price yourself right" it has only lead to making a decent living and being able to pay myself and my guys a decent salary, I did incure some startup debt but it is very much under control and we paid cash for the expansion this year, instead of paying off the startup debt like I had originally planned, but I now have the capacity and workload to easily pay off everything by the end of next year, I like paying cash whenever possible but it's not ALWAYS the best choice for me,I'm not afraid to incur some debt if it's going to payoff in the near future. I am single, live alone and have no rug rats or money sucking wife to deal with, I started my business with $1000 of savings five years ago I now have three trucks two full time crews and a company pushing 250k in sales this year, it can be done!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I invested in advertising a lil more every year. this year we really took off so I took the extra money I was making and started a new crew to handle the extra work load, I guess if I've learned nothing else on here it's "price yourself right" it has only lead to making a decent living and being able to pay myself and my guys a decent salary, I did incure some startup debt but it is very much under control and we paid cash for the expansion this year, instead of paying off the startup debt like I had originally planned, but I now have the capacity and workload to easily pay off everything by the end of next year, I like paying cash whenever possible but it's not ALWAYS the best choice for me,I'm not afraid to incur some debt if it's going to payoff in the near future. I am single, live alone and have no rug rats or money sucking wife to deal with, I started my business with $1000 of savings five years ago I now have three trucks two full time crews and a company pushing 250k in sales this year, it can be done!
What kind of advertising has worked best for you?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
What kind of advertising has worked best for you?
not to be rude but if your wife spends everything you bring in it doesnt matter how much you advertise you are gonna be in the same boat for the rest of your/her life. Sounds like something needs to be done before you try to get any more customers. if you make 40k and she spends 40k when you make 200k she will spend 200k. FACT
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
not to be rude but if your wife spends everything you bring in it doesnt matter how much you advertise you are gonna be in the same boat for the rest of your/her life. Sounds like something needs to be done before you try to get any more customers. if you make 40k and she spends 40k when you make 200k she will spend 200k. FACT
I get what your saying, got to be selective when choosing a life partner. What is really cool is when you can work your wife into the business, i have never done that till this year, and it is awesome. We have stopped watching tv, and just work together on the business(marketing, billing, creating new avenues of revenue, finding niche suppliers,etc) every night with a bottle of wine.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWI View Post
I get what your saying, got to be selective when choosing a life partner. What is really cool is when you can work your wife into the business, i have never done that till this year, and it is awesome. We have stopped watching tv, and just work together on the business(marketing, billing, creating new avenues of revenue, finding niche suppliers,etc) every night with a bottle of wine.
Sounds like a real shitty life. Leave work at work. You talk work while sexing? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Sounds like a real shitty life. Leave work at work. You talk work while sexing? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I love what i do, watching tv is for smucks