Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-29-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

30% profit of $700 is $210, can you support two kids on 210 a week? I couldn't.........
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onrasr View Post
I also figured if i limit my services to primarily cutting, trimming, edging, blowing ... how hard could it be
There is some truth to this too. If you can get a solid budget together you can pull it off like the rest of us.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep up a job search. You don't share any details of your previous employment, or what skill sets you hold.

The ramp-up for this route to be useful for a reasonable income is downstream. Unless you have lots of cash in reserve to hold you for a long time, taking this route is a bad decsion. Even when fully populated, it may not bring you enough income. Many on this board have bailed out after some period of time -- not enough cash in the kitty to make it work. As others have pointed out, this would be nearly the worst time of the year to get started -- some income for a couple of months, then several months of no income (or whatever else you can pick up on the side).

Also, something in the numbers doesn't add up -- 26 properties at $45-$70, in 2-3 days working solo ... sorry, I don't think this computes.

Work harder at finding employment.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its hard work--cold when its cold and hot when its hot. Not every customer will pay on time--or ever.
However, the main thing is your smarts connected to your motivation to succeed. Ten to 15 lawns per day is typical. 60 customers is a full house, depending on size. Remember it will rain some days. You will work many Saturdays and some Sundays. Some weeks work 6 am to 6 pm.
Start out by working for him--customers will come to know and trust you. Get him to begin in spring as usual; once customers have you doing their lawn regularly--let him fade from the scene--so they barely notice the change, and are not likely to shop around with other companies. If he has a company name, try to assume that name also; register it with the county. If he has uniform shirts, get the same shirts and color. Use almost the same paperwork and bills. Check envelopes are addressed to your house or post office box, of course. Rastus Lawn Service--or whatever.

Buy his truck if you can. Try to buy his equipment--pay him, say $300 a month until its paid off with interest.

It would be wise to offer some kind of incentive this year to help keep the present customers on board. Plant 10 free petunias for instance. 100 sqft of new seed. Maybe free organic fertilizer for up to four trees (Milorganite). Be sure to assure them you will do even higher quality. Get insurance and pay taxes. Your (unpaid) vacation is the last two weeks of November, just before snowplowing season starts.