Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2014, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefj View Post
I had a small bout with basal cell carcinoma a few years back and am prone to have more in the future. Obviously sunscreen is a big factor for me in the hot Georgia sun. What is your preferred brand/type?
I have had a spot removed as well, and it was on my upper shoulder where I rarely get sun exposure and have maybe been burned there a half dozen times in my entire life, all of them as a kid/teenager. It's a weird thing.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder what the spf rating is for dirt.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Skin cancer is serious stuff.

I use Coppertone Sport Ultra SPF 50 sweatproof. Wide brimmed booney hat, long sleeved shirt. I'm part time and I don't get out till about 3:00 in the afternoon but I still take precautions.

I go to the dermatologist every six months to get checked out.

I have had at least six basel cell carcinomas taken off my face over the last ten years by a plastic surgeon and others at the dermos office.

The last one I had removed was this past March. It was a different one this time, a Sqaumos Cell Carcinoma. They are very aggresive form of skin cancer.

It started out as just a spot that looked like a pimple and it got bigger real fast. Started eating a whole in my face. Went to the dermo and he said go straight to the plastic surgeon.

Got set up with an appointment a few weeks later and after one and a half hours of surgery that produced a scar from the corner of my eye to behind my ear I got rid of that sucker.

Lots of guys on here don't think anything about skin cancer but it should be taken as a real threat to anyone working outside.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

safe sunscreens - we use Alba

All natural, to see toxicity rates of sunscreens & toiletries check out the EWG Skindeep database http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/