Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Your list of others manufacturers does not include any that are prominently used in the industry. No, I don't know the splits, but none of those in the list would be included in the highest usage trimmers. I would be interested in knowing market share -- what % of the market of commercial users find briggs, cub cadet, honda, ... on their trailer?

I always find it interesting reading complaints of having to mix fuels for trimmers, but nobody complains about mixing fuels for chain saws.
There are a good amount that have Honda now.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You do realize, if a Stihl truly is in such condition that you'd rather throw it away?

That you can sell it on Ebay for quite the amount?
You'd be surprised, an FS100r in good condition sold "for parts" probably still net you $200
In bad shape, $50+ so long it's complete maybe even $100

Just make sure to label it "Not running For parts Only"

Granted, if the engine's shot the price drops down.
Get more for it if you take the time to pull it apart and sell the individual components.
A shortblock in good condition, $60 on the low end.
Coil, carburetor, muffler, recoil start, the clutch housing <- Each $15 - $20 or so, used.
Throttle assembly, $30

But if you have to throw them away, next time you have a slew and you want to save yourself a dump fee, call me.
I'll drive three states over for a free dozen of complete but just not running stihls.

Last edited by herler; 11-15-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
My Stihl KM130 is a disaster. My two stroke FS90 was awesome. I'm going to try Shindaiwa's 4 stroke stuff next. My Stihl KM130 has just been one thing after another; I take it into the shop, they tune it up, it runs right for a couple weeks and then it goes back to the same old stuff. It takes forever to warm up. I'm going to try ethanol free gas and see if that solves the problem. I need to get a new primer bubble as the ethanol ate the primer bubble away.
My Shindy T242 has been great so far. Shindy's 2-strokes are still great engines.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
its actually pretty simple. they just make the crankcase in the shape of a "U" so as you turn the motor it always has oil. My dolmar has ran a whole day with no oil, ran over, dropped, overheated and it still starts no problem and still has full power. Its ran 3 years and at least 5 hrs a day. I can't kill it.
I suppose, they probably just use splash lubrication, anyways, and forgo the need for a pump. I just never understood the justification for burning oil in the combustion chamber. price, IMO, is a poor excuse for a halfway engineered product. stihl made a poorly engineered 4 stroke, they should have fixed it. you want lower emissions, make it a sump lubricated engine. most intelligent people will eventually realize any extra money spent on the trimmer will be offset by not having to buy as much specialty oil (I run the same oil in all my cars, and all my lawn equipment, since it all calls for 5w30 or 10w30, and my oil covers both), and I buy much less oil for my small engines than I would have to 2 stroke oil over time.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
My Stihl KM130 is a disaster. My two stroke FS90 was awesome. I'm going to try Shindaiwa's 4 stroke stuff next. My Stihl KM130 has just been one thing after another; I take it into the shop, they tune it up, it runs right for a couple weeks and then it goes back to the same old stuff. It takes forever to warm up. I'm going to try ethanol free gas and see if that solves the problem. I need to get a new primer bubble as the ethanol ate the primer bubble away.
you might want to try a good fuel system cleaner. my trimmer was acting finicky, then I put some gumout all in one fuel system cleaner (the best they make), and it smoothed right out.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&SFTW View Post
I suppose, they probably just use splash lubrication, anyways, and forgo the need for a pump. I just never understood the justification for burning oil in the combustion chamber. price, IMO, is a poor excuse for a halfway engineered product. stihl made a poorly engineered 4 stroke, they should have fixed it. you want lower emissions, make it a sump lubricated engine. most intelligent people will eventually realize any extra money spent on the trimmer will be offset by not having to buy as much specialty oil (I run the same oil in all my cars, and all my lawn equipment, since it all calls for 5w30 or 10w30, and my oil covers both), and I buy much less oil for my small engines than I would have to 2 stroke oil over time.
Yep its spash. Ill take pics this winter of it. I am putting new pushrods in it, possibly a short block is they are only $100, but I am alomst out of space to adjust my valves. It will be interesting to see how the little thing works.
Posted via Mobile Device