Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Mowing is profitable for me too. I'd love to get into design work, I'm just tired of bending over whenever I want something from my state. It already hurts as it is.

There is money to be made in mowing. It's a numbers game. Spending tens of thousands of dollars to mow a lawn for $35 isn't going to make you money. Spending money on things you want vs what you need isn't going to make you money. There are certain mowers for certain lawns....and there is such thing as overkill.
Exactly! Use a $1000 to $2000 new commercial mower and make money on $35 lawns. Use a $10000 new commercial mower or two, complain about making no money. Wait maybe its the $50000 truck and trailer combo that has to go with it. Did I mention oversized tires, tinted windows, and chrome grill?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I have about 80-90 a week to cut and do it in 3-3.5 days with 2 guys most of the time. So I think two trucks is a lot
Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

More than 2-3 guys a truck is a lot I was doing three when I had a lot of landscaping jobs to get done faster. I also really manly have a few lawns on a street at a time not much time in the truck
Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a 3 man crew that takes care of 3 places in a day around 400000 sq feet of mowing and pull and spray weeds in a 9 hour day. These places have a lot of mowing and even more bed maintenance. They get it done and do it well. I have thrown a fourth guy in there and takes only a hour less. That being said its a waste to run 4 mans. The best is a two man for residentials and 3 man for big apartment complexes and larger properties. This is what we have found over the years. When you give a crew that fourth guy Hispanic or American they become lazy and dont work as hard. It would be cheaper for you to spend 30000 to 40000 and run a third crew and run two two mans and a three man on bigger properties. You should be able to charge at least $40 to $45 for a small yard. Never go under that. We have yards that only take 7 minutes in and out we charge $40 for them. If they dont like it so be it let them find somebody that doesn't want to be around very long taking $30 yards on. Not worth it. You have the ability now to price yards to where you make money and turn down people that want to haggle with you on price. They will be the biggest pain in the butt and not worth having around. Your mowing will pay your guys and you. The other work the mowing customers bring you will help buy new equipment and expand your company. Keep up the good work. Btw your may want to have a meeting with your guys and let them know that all the yards have to be done by Friday. Long days but gives you a break. If they dont finish have them work Saturday not you. Start training somebody to take your spot so you can sale more jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good thoughts briansprowl!!!!!

I like the way you think...

And I also like your mulch truck in the other thread!!!

That thing is BEAST
Old 08-25-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks it is freaking amazing. I am lucky that my boss likes to buy big toys and let our guys use them.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

We can send two guys out to do a 700 yard job in 7 to 8 days. Playground chips are our money maker. Great profit and super easy to blow in and clean up. I wish we had two of them going.