Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-15-2013, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Year in Review

With the weather turning cold around here, and the first snow of the season come and gone (and will come again soon), I found myself reflecting on the 2013 season as I wrap up green season work in the next week or so.

The way sales are looking for me right now, I am fairly pleased but not totally. 2013 was a TOUGH mother of a weather year. Started the season with a big fat snowstorm of 15" on May 2nd, which was absurd. That cut into the early mowing season at least 2-3 cuts. Then rain, rain, rain all through June - lost a cut or two for each customer in there as well. Then things went dry as a bone until late October, again, losing 2-3 more cuts for the season. So overall, put about 18-20 cuts on most lawns this season, which is way short of the avg 24-25 that I get each year. So can knock 20-25% off the top of mowing sales.....

Lawn apps were solid, got all apps in though had to do a lot of shifting around to accommodate the weather.

Landscaping was down, overabundance of crappy weather in the peak April thru June months partly to blame.

So all in all, a pretty good year, sales up about 17% from last season BUT I wanted 30-35%. That was based on a good weather year - I now know better than to expect a perfect weather year and will temper future growth rate accordingly.

How about yall. Weather reek havoc?
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-15-2013, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It was a great year for us too... I went from pulling a hose this september to a permagreen magnum and the square footage was about the same but i didn't have any foot problems this year.... yep I work for a guy who insists on a 200 gallon tank filled with urea and weed killer. no problems with this setup but please school me on how to be tank free with a rider with no call backs?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Amazing and ridiculous is right.

Starting out the rain came down so much that I was busy as *%&^ from around the 15th of April until flipping September, month after month, so busy in fact that I grossed as much in July as I normally would during a month of spring... It was so busy I got to thinking it'd never end and just about then the rain stopped, we're almost back in a drought... The river banks are showing, the reservoir is low again, the county's on voluntary water restrictions, the soil is dusty and dry (in winter, which is unusual in itself as water hardly evaporates once temps drop much below 70)...

Man, I don't know what to think about this fresh water situation some days.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My year in revue?

Just glad to still be at it here In the rust belt.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as the mowing goes I was in the same boat. Mid to upper teens for cuts. landscaping wasn't too bad but I had to turn down a lot due to playing catch on mowing. Leaves are going great so far. To be honest I was happy for it to dry out in sept and oct because I was just burnt out from working 16-18 hour day between both jobs. Best thing of 2013 for me is being debt free for the business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In Bamaland I had a slightly slow spring, really great summer, and this fall has been extremely slow. Last year was a great spring average summer and fall. Wonder what next year will bring.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Awesome year here in the Northern reaches....The area is booming with activity and so goes business. Lots of work to be had and the weather this year has been exceptional with a slight dry spell in August.
Looking forward to 2014 and doubling up my Res Lawn account numbers.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Up and down here in Central Illinois. It was a late start this spring. Had snow in late March, then didn't get started until late April mowing. Then in April and May it dumped rain after rain. Broke records all spring for rain fall. Then June-Sept little rain and was third driest summer on record. Only good thing was it was cool and had some very timely rains. September was one of the driest Septembers I can remember. Then finally rained in October and have had lots of rain again since. Now the leaves are holding on and taking for ever to come down. Oh, also got set back by snow a few days ago and had to wait for it to melt. Got in about 23 - 25 mows. I have gotten as many as 28-30 in good years. Better this year than last year though, due to the extreme drought.