Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-11-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Great point, RussellB. JasRaine, have you talked to your Father about your idea? What are his thoughts? If you posed the question, "What can I do to help, Dad?" where does that lead the conversation?
I have in fact purposed this question to him before - He is very prideful and has stated multiple times that he doesn't want my mom and his issues to interfere with my life goals/career plans. But by working with him, developing more business and interpersonal skills, both with customers and with my family, I AM pursuing my life goals and career plans.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a great answer from both you and your Father. Best of luck with your larger role in the family biz.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2013, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I would go home, be there for your family and take the stress off your dad and help him out with his business(which one day could be your business)
Old 12-14-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you like the work? Does landscaping get you excited? Passionate? Because of course it is a good thing to be around and help your family through your Mom's illness. And really, if you are interested in the family biz then now is the time to get going on it being the age you are. However, if landscaping and lawncare just doesn't do it for you then I would suggest helping for now but planning to chase your dreams after.... Sounds like quite a company your Dad has built up and some big shoes to fill as well.... Think about what YOU really want. You can always help out the family but that doesn't mean you have to be a landscaper if you have other dreams and goals....
Old 12-17-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Do you like the work? Does landscaping get you excited? Passionate? Because of course it is a good thing to be around and help your family through your Mom's illness. And really, if you are interested in the family biz then now is the time to get going on it being the age you are. However, if landscaping and lawncare just doesn't do it for you then I would suggest helping for now but planning to chase your dreams after.... Sounds like quite a company your Dad has built up and some big shoes to fill as well.... Think about what YOU really want. You can always help out the family but that doesn't mean you have to be a landscaper if you have other dreams and goals....
These points get to the heart of my decision - I've been around the business long enough to know that I do NOT hate it, however, I'm unsure at the moment if it is in fact something I'd like to make a career out of. Up until now my role in my father's company has been mostly as a laborer, a role that I do not seek as a career. The business aspects on the other hand very much interest me. Those aspects align more closely to my career goals.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Some people are meant to be laborers and others are destined for more. Go be with your family, bust your ass in every aspect of the business (field & office work), and eventually it will be there for you to take control. Just remember that it is your fathers business, so you will be working for him, unless he is willing to make you part owner now.
Aside from the business, you should be there for your mom and dad. Our time on earth is short regardless of illness, spend it with the people you love! Good luck and may god give your mom the strength to keep fighting!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

run home jack! run home jack! run home jack!
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you everyone for your input - I've put in my two weeks at my current job and will be going back full-time with my old man in several weeks. Feeling confident in my decision and excited to begin the new year on this note. Will update with progress as the year unfolds.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasRaine View Post
Thank you everyone for your input - I've put in my two weeks at my current job and will be going back full-time with my old man in several weeks. Feeling confident in my decision and excited to begin the new year on this note. Will update with progress as the year unfolds.
Good luck to you Jas.