Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

weeds weeds and more weeds!

I am a fairly new applicator so go easy on me please. I had a few yards last year. Not many. I have 80 this year. I picked them up from feb-now. The ones I picked up in February look just ok. def have some weeds but not too bad. The ones I picked up late march until now look like someone planted crab and goose grass. I understand these people missed pre but these yards were completely clean 3 weeks ago when I rode by these yards now its bad bad!. Is this normal for yards that have been started late? Also have had a banner amount of rain fall, im sure it helps nothing. Any advice and experience with this is appreciated. The only thing I don't get is why the yards 2 weeks ago were clean and now they look bad. thanks guys
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

The weed seed was always there, it just hadn't germinated and shown itself yet.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Summer annuals and crabgrass. They arise when the soil temperature reaches high levels. You won't see them when its cool in spring. Killed by frost--but for you--that is probably months away.

I hate spurge the most.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
I am a fairly new applicator so go easy on me please. I had a few yards last year. Not many. I have 80 this year. I picked them up from feb-now. The ones I picked up in February look just ok. def have some weeds but not too bad. The ones I picked up late march until now look like someone planted crab and goose grass. I understand these people missed pre but these yards were completely clean 3 weeks ago when I rode by these yards now its bad bad!. Is this normal for yards that have been started late? Also have had a banner amount of rain fall, im sure it helps nothing. Any advice and experience with this is appreciated. The only thing I don't get is why the yards 2 weeks ago were clean and now they look bad. thanks guys
You think all the torental rains we have had may be the cause? I think so. We have had 8" of rain in the last 5 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea wes its been bad. Im hoping it doesnt get worse but may be a rough august.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
You think all the torental rains we have had may be the cause? I think so. We have had 8" of rain in the last 5 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Got that right. I got my pre timings perfect this year, but in the last few weeks with the tons of rain, I'm getting a lot of break through, mostly dog fennel in yards that I've been treating for years that haven't had much weed pressure in the past few years.