Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
poohboy, ... you didn't say anything about the exhaust/muffler connection. Was this simple? Was the old one difficult to get off?
I used the old muffler. It bolted right on.

The nuts holding the muffler onto the exhaust manifold aren't rusted or corroded at all.
They came right off easy and went back on.

I did get two new exhaust gaskets from the dealer that I thought were supposed to be the correct ones. They seemed OK at the counter looking at the muffler but they seemed to have the bolt holes too close together when I tried to get them onto the studs. I roughed them up and down a couple of times on the threads and got them to go on.

The tin heat shield on my muffler has been coming loose for a while and rattling. I think there were only two of the weld spots still holding it on.
I took it to a weld shop and they wire feed welded the corners back onto the muffler. Charged me $20 shop minimum for the 5 minutes that it probably took, but I figure I could spend an hour getting the stick welder out and burning holes in the muffler with my old buzz-box.

I looked at the super-duper air cleaner that some mowers have had on them. Neither one of these has the filter with the top chamber.

I did see some mention somewhere about making sure to use the correct air cleaner element for the right engine. There is an air cleaner element that is made for an externally vented carburetor and another that is not. Both of the filters look the same. I didn't think to look if I have an externally vented carb or internal vent. I don't know if the new one is different than the one that I had. I just need to remember to check to get the correct one when I get a new air filter.