Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2006, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

snapper ztr

Will be searching for a new ztr in the next couple of months. Have looked at most of the brands. Today I stopped by a local snapper dealer. They showed me a commercial ztr 48" cut with 19 HP Kaw. engine. It looked like a pretty stout unit. Does anybody have any experience with these mowers. Thanks
Old 04-24-2006, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

there are several lco's in my area that use them, but i never have. i posted a similar question a few weeks ago but never heard anything. i think the big reason some of the local lco's here use them is that the dealer has an excellent reputation. good luck.

words of wisdom as spoken by a l.s. member at work:
"Gotta go, owners coming"
Old 05-17-2006, 03:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Dealer says no to snapper

I asked my snapper dealer, whom I've known for a dozen years, about Snapper ZTR's & what I got was a sales pitch for Ariens/Gravely. He said for the money that the Ariens or Gravely is a much better machine. I agree. I just bought a new Gravely zt2148xl for $4040.00 with a stripe kit.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Last night on the news had a clip of Brett Farve, he was riding one of those snappers. Hows that for a sales pitch.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Voorhies
Will be searching for a new ztr in the next couple of months. Have looked at most of the brands. Today I stopped by a local snapper dealer. They showed me a commercial ztr 48" cut with 19 HP Kaw. engine. It looked like a pretty stout unit. Does anybody have any experience with these mowers. Thanks
Jeff, I'm going on my 3rd season with the 52" Snapper Pro Fastback with the 21hp Kawasaki. Awesome machine IMO. If I had to add another machine to my business I'd got back to my dealer and add another Snapper Pro without a doubt. The Snapper units are very well built, 7 guage steel all throughout. I demo'd Hustler, Dixie Chopper, JD, & the Snapper and kept going back to it, so finally bought it and glad I did.

Buck
Old 05-17-2006, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North
Jeff, I'm going on my 3rd season with the 52" Snapper Pro Fastback with the 21hp Kawasaki. Awesome machine IMO. If I had to add another machine to my business I'd got back to my dealer and add another Snapper Pro without a doubt. The Snapper units are very well built, 7 guage steel all throughout. I demo'd Hustler, Dixie Chopper, JD, & the Snapper and kept going back to it, so finally bought it and glad I did.

Buck
Forgot I'd demo'd the Exmark as well. Most all of the machines I demo'd had good points & bad points, my reason for choosing the Snapper was it seemed to have all the good I was looking at in a machine and only two bad points. Bad points were: 1/2 inch increments on deck height vs. 1/4 inch, and it wasn't a very "sharp" looking unit...not a big thing I know but was a slight factor in my decision but not enough to influence me.

Buck
Old 05-19-2006, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

my new snapper

I purchased a Snapper Pro Fastback Sport, 48" 19 hp Kaw. several weeks ago and I'm extremely pleased. My only complaint is the deck ht. adjustment on this model, which requires insertion of a pin to set the height. Moving up to the Fastback models you get an improvement of this feature. The 19 hp. engine has plenty of torque for tall grass and it is certainly a strong unit. Plenty of power for climbing hills, even with the mower engaged. Again my only problem has been the deck ht. adjustment, which does have foot assist, when climbing over the crown of small mounds, I tend to scalp the ground. Of course these are areas I need to smooth out anyway. It is easy to raise the deck with my foot when crossing my drive etc.. I had planned to purchase a Hustler FasTrak, but the (full service) Snapper dealer is only a few miles from my home vs. 30 for the Hustler, and at only $150 more it has separate pumps and motors, vs. the integrated ones on the Hustler.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

my new snapper

Forgot to say that I had the Hustler dealer down to $4300 for the 18 hp Honda, 44" fastrak, and though the initial price on the Snapper 19 hp Kawasaki, 48" Snapper was $5200, he came down to $4450 to make the sale. Had the price not been as close I would have went with the Hustler. 6" more deck, larger motor, and separate pumps/motors for $150 made the decision for me. I do hav a Toro/Scagg dealer local too, but he wouldn't negotiate on anything and for similar money I would have ended up with one of the (inferior looking homeowner grade) toro mowers there.