Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-19-2013, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Member

2013 Hustler HD Super Z vs. 2013 Exmark Lazer Z

In the market for a commercial zero turn. I have been reading and
talking to dealers and demoed 3 different mowers so far and am pretty confused. too many decisions to make when you're going to spend between 10-13k. The one conclusion I have come to grips with is any of the top 5-6 brands are somewhat similar.(They all cut pretty well and are fairly rugged.
I guess it boils down to personal choice.
So far my personal choice is between the Hustler HD Super Z 60in.(37hp) and Exmark Lazer Z X 60 in.(35hp) - **Definitely need the custom seat.**

2 big problems; 1. 60 or 72(both brands) and 2. rear vs. side(Hustler)

I have about 7-10acres to mow which is broken up a bit.(weeds and some grass for now). Some flat, 4 small hills and around a 1 1/2 - 2 acre Pond.
(good sized dam).

Could use some good advice.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

We have a 2 year old Hustler HD (2 seasons) we mow/mulch every other day roughly 4 acres around a lot of obstacles and very hilly conditions. It is phenomenal but..........the side discharge is a pain when using a bagger. We have a 52" I believe because we have very tight spots which brings me to one issue I don't like on the Hustler, the deck is set back too far from front wheels, our old Scag from 5 years ago could get anywhere, the Hustler deck is set back like 2' but then again most manufacturers went this way and thats one thing Scag did right.

The Hustler is fast, very fast and will tear sod with little effort on sharp turns. We are still on our original belts and the belt adjustment is very simple in fact everything on the hustler is very basic and that's a plus because if it would ever break down on a Sunday afternoon you could fix it with ease with standard hardware store items, could never do this with scag....special parts galore
Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Also oil changes including hydraulic changes are very simple and fast, Changing bladescould really be a pain but we have a tractor that we just lift the whole front end with a logging choker but without this I could see it being a little difficult, another thing scag did right with their deck
Old 09-19-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your right Klondike, it boils down to personal preference. I was in your situation a few years back and went with a high grade commercial. Went with a 60" deck instead of a 72" because of scalping concerns and the fact that a 60" would fit through my storage area double doors and a 72" wouldn't.
Didn't consider a rear discharge because of the quality of cut concerns I read about on the forum. Test all the ones you are considering and get the one best suited for you
Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Should not have a problem squeezing in between anything since the property is pretty wide open, but the scalping issues concern me. My brother in law has a 72 in. and he said it just takes time to get used to those areas where scalping should be an issue. I hate to give up a foot of cutting width if its not going to be that big of an issue.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

My issue with the rear discharge is this.....These companies tout about how there decks are designed with the circular baffles that sucks the grass up and spits it out, but when you look at the rear discharge decks its nothing close to what the side decks are. ie....VX4 (Hustler). I would love to have the rear discharge, but from
what I've read the cut is not that great.( A lot of those post were from 2-3 years ago.) Has anything changed on the newer rear discharge decks.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag came out with a RD Cheetah, test one out and let us know
Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1 View Post
My issue with the rear discharge is this.....These companies tout about how there decks are designed with the circular baffles that sucks the grass up and spits it out, but when you look at the rear discharge decks its nothing close to what the side decks are. ie....VX4 (Hustler). I would love to have the rear discharge, but from
what I've read the cut is not that great.( A lot of those post were from 2-3 years ago.) Has anything changed on the newer rear discharge decks.
Exmark has a new rear-discharge deck that will be available on the Lazer Z S-Series for MY2014, and is available now for the Lazer Z DS-Series (diesel). It has a fantastic quality of cut, which was what had kept Exmark from producing a rear-discharge deck for so long... They waited to release it until it had the quality of cut contractors (and homeowners) demand.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgersib View Post
Exmark has a new rear-discharge deck that will be available on the Lazer Z S-Series for MY2014, and is available now for the Lazer Z DS-Series (diesel). It has a fantastic quality of cut, which was what had kept Exmark from producing a rear-discharge deck for so long... They waited to release it until it had the quality of cut contractors (and homeowners) demand.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. on the rear discharge. Although I'm not sure I can wait that long.
I might just buy a SD and add a mulching kit.