Old 02-24-2015, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Down here in south Florida, Miami-Dade and Broward county, They do not play around and will slap you with a fine in a second for your trailer not being lettered. I prefer it like that. It weeds out the crap down here.

They tightened up because people were posing as lawn maintenance companies and robbing homes with unlettered trucks and trailers.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't see how having names and numbers on trailers would stop theft. HMMM Smart criminals would put bogus names and numbers on trailers and get away with even more.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Don't see how having names and numbers on trailers would stop theft. HMMM Smart criminals would put bogus names and numbers on trailers and get away with even more.
Wasn't that the plot of Home Alone? haha
Old 02-26-2015, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
Wasn't that the plot of Home Alone? haha
Man I almost put home alone plumbing truck comes to mind.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fifteen years back some zealous County Dimbat went on a tangible tax rampage & called me for further business details after she took down my number off the trailer. Man was that a pia dealing with her. Needless to say the tax was later deemed unconstitutional or something & that was the end of it.
That was a different business that dissolved anyway.
As of now I'd hate for the paint on my truck to fade unevenly with a magnetic on the door.. More than likely ill end up washing it tomorrow & put them on it, lol..
Old 03-21-2015, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Here in palm beach county if you put a big logo on your truck/trailer it makes it a target for theives.. they follow you and wait for a chance to rob you . Or follow you home and come back late at nite. I have a small magnetic sign on my truck that you can barely see what it says.. only reason i got that was one of my clients said it makes me look professional..
And like others have said i can count on one hand how many times my big logos have gotten me accounts in the past on my old trucks ...
I like to target my business as well... i hate having to tell a grandma " i dont want to cut your yard " .. lol
This year I have a newish white truck with a new white enclosed trailer to make my business look really clean. But today i was at a million dollar house watching it being cut by a 70 year old man that could barely walk with the ragediest truck and trailer and equipment.. so go figure...
Old 03-21-2015, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME LANDSCAPE View Post
Here in palm beach county if you put a big logo on your truck/trailer it makes it a target for theives.. they follow you and wait for a chance to rob you . Or follow you home and come back late at nite. I have a small magnetic sign on my truck that you can barely see what it says.. only reason i got that was one of my clients said it makes me look professional..
And like others have said i can count on one hand how many times my big logos have gotten me accounts in the past on my old trucks ...
I like to target my business as well... i hate having to tell a grandma " i dont want to cut your yard " .. lol
This year I have a newish white truck with a new white enclosed trailer to make my business look really clean. But today i was at a million dollar house watching it being cut by a 70 year old man that could barely walk with the ragediest truck and trailer and equipment.. so go figure...
And this is pretty much the way it is in Florida period. My truck and trailers are lettered, but after decades in the business here I can say I have the lettering for my own satisfaction.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Under Fla a Pest Control Company must mark their trucks with the Company Name. That name must be a minimum of 1 1/2 inches tall. My trucks have 1 5/8 tall letters just in case a Zealous Ag inspector can't measure. BTW No phone number.

I wouldn't Recommend small or no signs for the New Guy or start up. But after a few years in business you want to settle in and stop chasing the Tire Kickers. You reach a comfort level where you don't want customers: You want GOOD customers. We all kind of struggled a little in the recession but Time are great and business is on the up swing. If 2015 is half a good as 2014 I will be a happy camper.

PS At age 74 I only have a part time spray business so it doesn't take a lot of Customers to keep me happy.

it is one thing to do a off label applications. It is total stupidity to post it on the world wide web and expect people to approve.

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

My People Skills are Fine. It is my Idiot Tolerance Skills That needs Work.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The reverse windshield font is the absolute dumbest idea ever.
moc.ecivres
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2015, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I wouldn't Recommend small or no signs for the New Guy or start up. But after a few years in business you want to settle in and stop chasing the Tire Kickers. You reach a comfort level where you don't want customers: You want GOOD customers. We all kind of struggled a little in the recession but Time are great and business is on the up swing. If 2015 is half a good as 2014 I will be a happy camper.

PS At age 74 I only have a part time spray business so it doesn't take a lot of Customers to keep me happy.

74... that's older than some dirt! LOL. Ric is correct... pest control vehicles must be signed with permanently attached (non- magnetic) lettering which is 1.5 inches high (minimum) and contrasting with the vehicle color. Yes, the state inspectors check this. Additionally, now all the inspectors (of formally separate divisions) have merged and are being cross-trained for all disciplines. Rather than 12-14 inspectors formally checking PC businesses, there are potentially about 78! Better mind your P's and Q's boyz!