Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw4020 View Post
Just thought about this thread again today while my mower was burning my back.

Fuzzy, did you ever get your oil cooler working? If so how did it work, pictures, etc.?

sjessen, did you ever find those part numbers or pictures?
No, I did not. Will try to call the dealer. Just hate to bother them when they are really busy.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I have accumulated the parts .. (plate cooler/hoses/pancake adapter) .. needed to do the installation ... just need to fabricate a bracket to mount the actual cooler over the motor shroud. Due to yet another major back surgery, I had to promise my Dr. I wouldn't work on this or any other projects for at least 6 months ... can't lift more than a double cup of coffee !!! On top of that, my Mother just passed away last week, so everything has been in turmoil around here. When I get the bracket made & powder coated, I will get some pictures of the step-by-step installation to post here.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
Being a firm believer in the concept that cool oil helps to extend engine life, I am looking into the possibilities of putting together some type of heat exchanger to mount remotely in order to accomplish that task. Before doing bunches of searching, I thought I'd check here and see if any of you folks have attempted such a task ???

The machine in question is a John Deere Z920R with the Kawasaki 23.5hp FX691V engine. I'm thinking some bracketry to mount the cooler above the engine shroud with the possibility of a small fan just in case the engine doesn't pull enough air through the unit.

Any ideas/input would be much appreciated ... ... ...
I actually just ordered the derale 15500 remote oil cooler kit for my exmark big block. After talking with our kohler rep.....the number one killer of v twin lawnmower engines is the EPA......HENCE running them lean to meet emissions. He said that in texas they have seen oil temps as high as 350 in the kohler big blocks which is why they use oil. I will post pics of my installation. It adds an extra 19 oz to the capacity and It comes with a 180 inline thermostat. I expect the fan to run at least 50% of the time. Kohler has extended the warranty an extra year on the big blocks because of the heat and how the cylinders are getting warped from heat issues
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2015, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

sjessen, no problem man, just when you have time or happen to be in the dealer. Thanks.

Fuzzy, sorry to hear about your problems. Hope your back is better when it heals. Condolences on the loss of your mother. That is always tough. Life health and family are way more important than any stupid mower.

jmoney, wow 350 degrees is absurd. No wonder they are having issues. Look forward to the pics, and results of the install. If you can please take infrared temps of the engine before and after. That could be extremely enlightening. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

My 2012 Hustler X-ONE/60" rear discharge deck/Kawasaki FX730V came equipped with a engine oil cooler. I use 30W regular engine oil in it at 50 hour oil change intervals and 100 hour oil filter changes.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of the KAW. from FX on up have stock oil coolers :http://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/engines/fx
Just look up the engine IPL on the Kaw. site to get the part # http://kmcb2c.econnect.partsandwarra...mcb2c/main.jsp

Big block...small block...who gives a flock! If it has an oil filter you can hook an oil cooler up, nothin' to it.

'Course if yer house has more wheels than yer truck...
" Old age ain't for sissies "
......AMF!
Old 08-20-2015, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
A lot of the KAW. from FX on up have stock oil coolers :http://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/engines/fx
Just look up the engine IPL on the Kaw. site to get the part # http://kmcb2c.econnect.partsandwarra...mcb2c/main.jsp

Big block...small block...who gives a flock! If it has an oil filter you can hook an oil cooler up, nothin' to it.
Yep. Many companies make sandwich plates and even more make coolers.

High pressure oil hose and a few hose clamps and you are in business.
Posted via Mobile Device