Register free!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
When spot spraying broadleaf weeds the most common mistake that I've observed by h.o.s is NOT spraying when the weeds are 'actively growing',,, i.e. plenty of moisture with comfortable temps... Just a thot...
Or expecting their CPO to make applications when it is too cold, dry, or hot. Cranking up the rate of AI and/or usage of surfactants is not the answer either.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I've always been a stickler for following advice and directions as best as possible. If the acceptable AI range for what I have is X to 3X, I'll base my mix rate by the degree of infestation, maturity of the weeds, etc, and never ever go beyond the published rates, period. I do use spreader-sticker and try to hit weeds early, when it's cooler. However, there are often times in the summer when weeds crop up in a week or 10 days that I'm not around and it's over 80 degrees most days. I pick the best day possible, about all I can do.

I've seen far too many local pros who will cut to schedule, regardless if we've just had 2" of rain that morning--or even in the rain, will cut to 2" when a customer requests higher and so on. In my neighbourhood these are in the majority, and it was the main impetus for me to do my own work. Now I'm halfway decent at it and quite enjoy it (well, 80% of it anyways!), and I want to get the kinks out as best I can. If these licensed pros cut when they really shouldn't, I have to wonder if they'll apply RUPs in sub-optimal conditions or in improper ways as well.

After this week's rain, I'm getting slammed with poa annua now. 10x more today than just 3 days ago, when this thread started. Lesco suggested Tenacity. Any suggestions for this product for spot treatment? How good is this and is it worth the high price?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

CW - you will find in the mowing business, anything goes as any idiot with a craftsman can mow lawns for money. Hence, the low quality work you are seeing.

Commercial Pesticide Applicators, however, is a little different ballgame. We are required to pay for licensing and Continuing Ed on an ongoing basis. Plus the cost of liability insurance for spraying which isn't cheap. We know what we are doing. I am speaking on behalf of the independent small local operators out there, not TG, Spring Green, etc, those are where quality takes a backseat to your wallet.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Homeowner products vs professional products for weed control

Im 95% sure the seed heads near the curb line are poa annua - annual bluegrass
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have weeds popping up all the time and are constantly fighting them ,,, year after year,,, you might want to consider GROWING grass to minimize the weed pressure... after 5 years the lawn should be matured and resistant to weed pressure all by itself...

You might want to focus on the cultural practices that benefit the long term health and develop of your grass plants...
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If you have weeds popping up all the time and are constantly fighting them ,,, year after year,,, you might want to consider GROWING grass to minimize the weed pressure... after 5 years the lawn should be matured and resistant to weed pressure all by itself...

You might want to focus on the cultural practices that benefit the long term health and develop of your grass plants...
THANK YOU

I am glad someone finally got to the real Point here. Weed control is more than just spraying Herbicides. Weed Control is result of Proper turf management using both Chemical and Cultural practices.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Holy Crap!! We do agree on something!

http://turf.rutgers.edu/outreach/bmp...management.pdf

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt