Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-08-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I've run into what I believe is my first problem. It's likely a simple fix, but I'm not sure what that fix is at this point.

Last week I noted that it started to sound different after engaging the blade.
Initially the sound was more "high pitched" - sort of reminded me of an old coffee percolator when they started to whistle, but nowhere near as loud.
It just sounded "off".

Today I noticed a slight burning smell which I assume was the belt. Is it slipping? Hmmm...

I stopped using it and used the 21" for the last two small lawns and when I got home I took the front belt cover off for the first time.
Let me warn you that if you haven't removed yours, DO IT NOW. There was SO much grass buildup in there it was amazing. I'll post pics later.

I dug out/blew out all grass and looked the belts over. Nothing unusual that I could see. I have no idea if the belts were loose, or not - I never looked at them before. I started it up with the cover off to watch the belts and when I engaged the blades, I noted that the notched belt right on the deck spindles seemed to be "shaking" as it spun. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know if that's normal, but it didn't look good to me.

I tried tightening it, but according to the manual, it didn't need it. That part that your supposed to snug up until it's the thickness of a sheet of paper (I'm paraphrasing - the manual is down in the garage) seemed like it was as tight as it should be.
I tightened it a little anyway.

I started it and engaged the blades.
It still sounded "off" and the belt still appeared to be shaking a little.

I don't need this right now.

I've got about $1,200 in repairs needed on my truck after having spent $600 for tires, and my wife's car needs tires before the snow flies. (Just spent $625 in brakes all around on that too three wks ago)

If I can't figure it out on my own I'll probably just revert to the 21" for the rest of the season. I can't afford to have it worked on at the dealer at the moment.

And to round out my day I'm sitting here hungry because the stew we made for dinner last night (and was going to have again tonight) is no good because some dumb@ss (me) left the pot out on the stovetop all night instead of putting it in the refrigerator when it cooled down.

Ugh.
What you are hearing is the roller bearings on the belt guides are in process of going out. I cannibalized unit #1 month or so ago for that part. I think the newest generation TimeMasters are more prone to these failures than say version 1.0 was when introduced. There are 2 of them under the cover.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2014, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
What you are hearing is the roller bearings on the belt guides are in process of going out. I cannibalized unit #1 month or so ago for that part. I think the newest generation TimeMasters are more prone to these failures than say version 1.0 was when introduced. There are 2 of them under the cover.
Posted via Mobile Device

Would that explain the burnt odor too - like the belt was getting hot?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Would that explain the burnt odor too - like the belt was getting hot?
Those pully dealy bobs have rubber inserts on the contact points. They fail and die a horrible death but the cogged drive belt will survive just fine. Mine is making racket again. Mostlikey the other original one.

My local dealer has never stocked the part. Cheaper on eBay or parts tree anyhow. Some goes for the blade engagement cable that snapped on my #1. Commercial warranty is 90 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info. I'll start looking for part numbers and a source - I normally support my dealer, but I don't have the money to spare at the moment.

Are they easy to replace yourself?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll start looking for part numbers and a source - I normally support my dealer, but I don't have the money to spare at the moment.

Are they easy to replace yourself?
Not super difficult. Disassembly of belt tensioner. Look up exploded view first for clues. I'm assuming that one is the first to go. I'm going to order numerous spares once I order. Original TimeMaster needs a few new belts since much of it is already apart.

I have tons of equipment and numerous vehicle issues to fix over the winter...plus work some sort of regular job or two.
Posted via Mobile Device