Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 AM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
Pic of my friends mower blade that broke off about 4 days ago. This is why I fear aftermarket blades. He posted this on his facebook. He claims he didn't hear any loud noise and couldn't find the other half. He notice the vibration though!!!!
Wow, that could have been a deadly situation. Does he have any idea why the blade broke? Maybe vibration from running out of balance?
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-27-2014, 12:05 AM
soloscaperman's Avatar
soloscaperman soloscaperman is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Wow, that could have been a deadly situation. Does he have any idea why the blade broke? Maybe vibration from running out of balance?
If you measure it, it broke off where you see the first line on the other side that raises the lift of the lip. Those few couple lines that were made from the company made this blade weak. This is why I don't want high lift blades I want a solid blade.
__________________
" There is no wrong way on getting new customer's if you have a good long term plan."

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 AM
zackvbra zackvbra is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake park, ga
Posts: 556
Blades are $20-30 a set. I get three sets blades of blades per mower once a year and it costs me $170 bucks for two mowers for a whole year. It's dangerous running them for that long and I don't want a liability case, so I factor it into my maintenance costs and write it off on my taxes. Along with oil, filters, spare belts, plugs, you name it. I buy in bulk once a year and write it off, that way I have fewer records to file.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 AM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
If you measure it, it broke off where you see the first line on the other side that raises the lift of the lip. Those few couple lines that were made from the company made this blade weak. This is why I don't want high lift blades I want a solid blade.
I may not understand exactly what you mean. Do you mean you want blades with a lower "sail", or solid blades with no notches that create the "fingers"?
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 AM
soloscaperman's Avatar
soloscaperman soloscaperman is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I may not understand exactly what you mean. Do you mean you want blades with a lower "sail", or solid blades with no notches that create the "fingers"?
Not sure why I said that but I like the stock blades better. One day when I mulch up leaves I will try those high lift blades.
__________________
" There is no wrong way on getting new customer's if you have a good long term plan."

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
Pic of my friends mower blade that broke off about 4 days ago. This is why I fear aftermarket blades. He posted this on his facebook. He claims he didn't hear any loud noise and couldn't find the other half. He notice the vibration though!!!!
Don't buy Chinese blades and this won't happen.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-27-2014, 07:07 PM
soloscaperman's Avatar
soloscaperman soloscaperman is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,015
To some up on this POST I guess Ebay and jungle jim sells blades? I keep hearing about Oregon blades. They any good? What is the stock price for 52" Trivantge deck blades on a 2008 Exmark Lazer Z HP? I called my guy where I bought the mower and they went out of business in CT.
__________________
" There is no wrong way on getting new customer's if you have a good long term plan."

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,991
Your manual will have the stock part number for your blades and from there you can do an on-line lookup of blades that will match. I have a variety of blades for my 2003 Lazer Z HP, high lift, low lift, Gator and swap them depending on conditions and even double them up at times. I will be buying the Gator G6 blades for that mower soon...been running them on the Turf Tracer and very happy with them. There's an Exmark Dealer in Haddam and one in North Branford as well. Not sure where you are in CT.

I can probably even give you some of my worn-out blades which are 10x better than the ones you have.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 PM
soloscaperman's Avatar
soloscaperman soloscaperman is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Your manual will have the stock part number for your blades and from there you can do an on-line lookup of blades that will match. I have a variety of blades for my 2003 Lazer Z HP, high lift, low lift, Gator and swap them depending on conditions and even double them up at times. I will be buying the Gator G6 blades for that mower soon...been running them on the Turf Tracer and very happy with them. There's an Exmark Dealer in Haddam and one in North Branford as well. Not sure where you are in CT.

I can probably even give you some of my worn-out blades which are 10x better than the ones you have.
Exmark in Southington is great too. I'm not joking I am tight on money and the season is kind of over soon. I need blades to last 8 large lawns per week till the year is over and I will keep using my friends mower with him on my other lawns. He was upset that I am working alone but the rod and 4 screws in my femur are ok so far and the freakin Wine warehouse that I work nights at don't want me back because I am a high risk with my leg. idk I did 2 yards of river jack rocks in a huge wheelbarrow up a hill without problems.
__________________
" There is no wrong way on getting new customer's if you have a good long term plan."

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.08814 seconds with 10 queries