Register free!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

CHARLES - this is similar to our RYAN 48" pull-behinds w/hydraulic lift. 36" effective aeration width, and requires 22 hp or more to pull it. We pull ours with JD 445's (with rear posi traction). I must say >> Ryan built one heck of a nice heavy duty pull-behind aerator, and they last for decades.

Problems with pull-behinds:
They rely on 'weight' in order to pull plugs, so conditions must be nearly perfect to do a nice job.
When pulling them uphill, sometimes the tractor tires can spin & cause turf damage (even with posi traction).
If soils are moist, the tires from the tractor will pack down the plugs & compress/cover the holes you just created with the aerator.

I prefer hydrostatic aerators (walk-behinds & stand-on's). The most popular hydro walk-behind in my state = XT5 by TURFCO. We use them, and we love 'em. We also bought an Exmark stand-on aerator last fall, and we love it too.

Currently, we only use our pull-behinds "under certain conditions".

my 2 cents
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
CHARLES - this is similar to our RYAN 48" pull-behinds w/hydraulic lift. 36" effective aeration width, and requires 22 hp or more to pull it. We pull ours with JD 445's (with rear posi traction). I must say >> Ryan built one heck of a nice heavy duty pull-behind aerator, and they last for decades.

They rely on 'weight' in order to pull plugs, so conditions must be nearly perfect to do a nice job.
When pulling them uphill, sometimes the tractor tires can spin & cause turf damage (even with posi traction).
If soils are moist, the tires from the tractor will pack down the plugs & compress/cover the holes you just created with the aerator.

I prefer hydrostatic aerators (walk-behinds & stand-on's). The most popular hydro walk-behind in my state = XT5 by TURFCO. We use them, and we love 'em. We also bought an Exmark stand-on aerator last fall, and we love it too.

my 2 cents
Yep I know this I have 4 wheel drive and it don't slip and I do all the center with a pull behind and yes it requires weight and so does my turfco XT5 it may be easier than other aerators but it is still a lot of work.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a 2-man crew (local competitor) this morning. They were hauling a trailer with three TURFCO XT5's. 2 guys with 3 aerators??? Anyway, we had 4 inches of rain the past 2 days. I realize the XT5 is "easy on lawns", but wondering why folks are aerating right now cuz of extremely saturated soils. Many even have standing water.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post

my 2 cents

You need this. I can deliver or meet you half way.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=430206