Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Right now around me, you have to bid commercial super competitive if you want it. Off of a $100 job, you are lucky if you can make $20 it seems lately. I really try and push residential, just because they usually have extra work or snowplowing for us to do. I don't know how long until the mowing market recovers, but it's getting cheaper and cheaper, and mowers are getting more expensive by large amounts each year. Last years $11k mowers are now $12k mowers. You'd be lucky to get $300-500 in my area, if they are calling around and getting lots of bids. Someone would do it for around $275 I'm sure.
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

All areas are different of course but a new truck here vs new york I am sure all the cost the same. A house here vs new york is probably $500,000 difference therefore the difference in price people are willing to work for. All in all I make the most money selling retail out of our garden center. Our landscape division is next, material mark up, labor rate, equipment used. Mowing, I hate to say it cuz I like it is general low profit due to everyone and there brother in the business. To own a machine or two for someone warrrior lawn man no big deal but to jump to keep chemicals in storage, nursery stock, skid, trucks that takes a bigger investment and at that point most people stay home.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I feel like I have wasted an half hour of my life reading a pissing match of who can bid cheaper and make money. I thought I may actually learn something. The only person who has any sense was the the guy from nc. Do most of you guys really know how big an acre is. After taxes and insurance I don't see how anyone would put up with the headache and make anything less than 30 an hour.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps_lawn&landscaping View Post
I feel like I have wasted an half hour of my life reading a pissing match of who can bid cheaper and make money. I thought I may actually learn something. The only person who has any sense was the the guy from nc. Do most of you guys really know how big an acre is. After taxes and insurance I don't see how anyone would put up with the headache and make anything less than 30 an hour.
I agree... In my area commercial pays the best... We bid in the 50-60 hour range....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps_lawn&landscaping View Post
An acre is 43560 sq ft and will take 60inch mower 12 min or 4.8 acres an hr to mow if going 10nmph if you maintain at least 80 percent efficiency. That's the math. So every one of us who have over a 10k mower should take 4 hrs to mow this solo with no problems. If you need to double cut or bag anything that's your preference and should not be needed if have good equipment. The rest is trim, edge, and blowing. I say is takes 4 hrs. That's leaves nearly 12 miles of walking time (normal walking speed is 3.1 mph). That allows 2 hrs of trim time or the ability to trim a 3/4 acre of grass or 31680 ft of trimming, edge 6000ft of sidewalk (or over a mile), or 3000ft for both sides and a hour to blow off everything (or 3 miles of walking time) and load up. Go to any manufactoring website of mowers or edgers and you will see all my numbers are well below what any machine is rated for and if you cant trim at a walking pace something is wrong with the person trimming. So that's the math now why do we differ nearly 8 hrs to do the same exact thing. I think the highest bid on here was for 20 hrs to do the same thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

19.7 Acre Commercial Account. Whats Your Price?

Every job site is different. I find we get more money on residential acreage than commercial. But I'd rather have year round commercial accounts. I know anyone can look up the factual numbers of an acre. I was just stating that most commercial property's you just have to bid on do not say the total area you are mowing. You have to look and figure it out yourself. We mow one that takes almost 4 hours with two 60" scags going non stop and one guy trimming. I'd guess its around 20 acres and no more.