Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-06-2014, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Credit score is only part of the equation. I am betting your debt to income was just a bit too high for them to accept. The ratio that is acceptable can vary greatly from company to company.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

It wasn't debt to income because I have virtually no debt( well until I bought a mower) My work truck was inherited from my dad, and I paid my car off 2 yrs ago. The only accounts I had were 3 credit cards with about $7k total limit. There is a $300 balance on one, and the rest are at 0. I do not own my home, so there's no mortgage. I do not have nearly as extensive a credit history as most, but what is there is good. I have eschewed debt most of my life, and I'm learning there is a penalty for that... I received a letter from JD Financial stating they denied me due to a lack of open accounts, and the number of accounts opened in the past 12 mos. I took an awesome credit card offer from Chase back in Jan, and that's the only account I've opened in 2 yrs.
I was very, very embarrassed when they turned me down. I gave up on buying a mower for a few weeks before I decided to try Toro with GE. They gave me the EXACT SAME financing I was trying to get through JD with a considerably smaller promo fee. I'll tell you, it's hard to not take it a little personal, even though it's really anything but personal. I was bruised for sure.

Oh yes, I realize the fact I'm a student doing this part time makes me seem like a youngster , but I'm actually 33. It was my father's dying wish that I go to college, and he left me a little bit to help with it. So, I've been a full time student for 3 yrs. lawncare has been a godsend for me. It allows me to make a SOLID part time income, and in the process I've found something I really enjoy. I'll keep doing this part time even when I'm done with school. Hell, I may even try it full time when I'm done...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by chefcam864; 06-06-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We just came through (actually still in) a terrible recession caused in part by too many people being way too far in debt, yet so many of these banks/finance co's want you to have recent debt history to show you can pay for it consistently.

Good grief. That makes no sense and ought to be illegal.

No matter. You got a nice machine and are happy now, and that's all that counts. On top of that, JD shot themselves in the foot here, and you can gloat over that fact.